Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just my opinion, but it seems to be pretty common problem with SRAM chains failing under minimal mileage, or conditions. I recently went to a full SRAM Force drivetrain, and within 500 miles my SRAM chain bent so severely while simply changing between my large and small rings! I don't mean slightly bent, but bent 180 degrees making it totally un-rideable. The guys at my LBS stated that they don't sell SRAM chains for that specific reason, so save yourself the time and money and simply buy a Shimano chain at the beginning!

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
light, cheap, durable.... pick two and you'll be ok

lighter and cheaper is SRAM's marketing sell argument

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just replaced the SRAM chain on my Rival equipped Orbea after about 2,200 miles. It seemed rather soon but I probably could have maintained it a bit better. 500 miles is clearly unacceptable, I hope you let SRAM know and have pictures. I'd love to see what you describe.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been riding SRAM chains for many years on my mtb, and now on my road bike for the last 3 years. Never had that problem. I've heard that their rear derailleurs will asplode at first contact, though.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Never had a problem with SRAM chains. I've run them on both my 9 and 10 sp stuff. Which SRAM chain were you using? I've easily gotten 4500+ miles on both a PC1070 and PC970.

Shimano chains are the only one's I've ever broken or bent. BTW, watch out for the Ultegra 10sp chains...I've read about a bunch of failures with it on the side where they have the cutout in the backside link.

·
Cycle Boy
470 Posts
Hmmm......well I think that if you get a chain from either SRAM or Shimano you should get the highest end ones. Those are the ones used in Pro Competition and are not supposed to break as easily as described.

Another factor that I think should be taken into consideration is the proper installation of the chains on the drivetrain (no offense to those who installed them yourself). I could be moment when the mechanic is lax or does not have complete focus. you never know.

I read about people on this forum talking about SRAM and Shimano cranks coming apart - these are the same ones Tour riders use and give them about 10 times the abuse a normal rider would give them. Again, proper torque and installation technique I think plays a HUGE factor in these instances.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
SROC3 said:
Hmmm......well I think that if you get a chain from either SRAM or Shimano you should get the highest end ones. Those are the ones used in Pro Competition and are not supposed to break as easily as described.
Chains are never supposed to break easily, but they sometimes do - just ask Fabian Cancellera what he thought of his "pro" SRAM chain at Flanders last year!

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
They are the dogs naads

Ive had them for years, mostly for the ProLink connection, and ridden them about 50,000+ km in that time NOT once have I had a sram chain break...nay any chain break in that time, Shimano included. I dont know what people actually do to break them, Ive never understood breaking chains when QC insn't the cause :confused:

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Alright- stupid question, I am beginning a build for the first time . I decided on SRAM force as a grupo.

Now,given the cassette & derailleur (SRAM) and the front sprocket and cranks (SRAM) can you run a non-SRAM chain on that grupo?

I have been running a 105 gruppo for the last 4 years and haven't had one problem. Just wondering if I should just go with a Shimano chain.

TIA

·
Registered
40 Posts
first time i looked at a shimano fd it burst into flames....

first time I touched a campy rear derailleur the pulley wheels exploded in my hands....

first time at band camp...

trust everything ever written on the internet.... it is gospel....

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,916 Posts
calle_betis said:
Alright- stupid question, I am beginning a build for the first time . I decided on SRAM force as a grupo.

Now,given the cassette & derailleur (SRAM) and the front sprocket and cranks (SRAM) can you run a non-SRAM chain on that grupo?

I have been running a 105 gruppo for the last 4 years and haven't had one problem. Just wondering if I should just go with a Shimano chain.

TIA
you can run an will any 10spd chain w/ any 10 spd drivetrain. campy will last the longest. actually, the sram and campy chains are produced in the same factory.

i have also run sram chains for years, mtb and road. i really don't understand how a non-pro sprinter can "break" a chain. as the op stated, it happened while shifting. i'm betting it was not completely the chain's fault...

·
Registered
27,619 Posts
Bummer.

When I started, SRAM chains were Sedisport. They had it all over Shimano or KMC as far as durability. I've been religiously using them for 30 years. Never broke one, not even when one picked up a coat hanger and twisted the rear derailleur around into the wheel like a pretzel. Has their quality control gone sour? Running SRAM PC850s on two bikes and due for a change. :confused:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.