Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My apologies if this Q belongs over in the Beginners Corner. I am a beginner but I don't see any Qs like this in that forum.

I've been riding seriously since Feb/March - first one ride a week, then two and recently three. Each one is roughly 20 to 30 miles in somewhat hilly country roads well south of Atlanta, Ga.

On Tuesday I went for a short ride after work but really pushed hard (for me that is -- at this point in my "career"). Did 13 miles at about 18 mph average, cadence of 91 and an average heartbeat of 165 for the 45 minute ride. Recovery wise I made sure to have a cool down period at the end of the ride, hydrated well throughout the ride and after AND had the rest of my dinner (only eat 1/3 of eat when I go for a ride after work). Felt fine shortly after the ride and the next day.

Jump forward to this morning (Saturday) as I went out for a 20 mile ride. My legs were spent - really felt like they were out of juice almost from the get go. They actually felt better - like they had some power - after the 10 mile mark but it does make me wonder:

- did I not do something in recovery after the Tuesday ride that I should have?
- is this normal for the "ramp up" in your routine?
- should I rest more or just keep at it? (planning another perhaps longer ride tomorrow).

Sorry for the long post. I'm sure every person is different and this tough to answer, but appreciate any input.

Thanks.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting you should ask about mood. I have to admit this am was the first time since I've gotten serious about riding several months ago that I had even the slightest feeling of "maybe I don't feel like riding this morning." Up to now, I'm often like a kid on Christmas morning before each ride. Really exicted.

Could my mood have really been my body saying "you just don't have it today."??

· Registered
73 Posts
Take a look at what you did (or didn't) eat last night and this a.m. before the ride.
As you ride more you will figure out what combinations will and won't work for you.
If you ate much this morning that could throw you off. I don't think eating before a ride is critical if you have been maintaining normal food intake leading up to it, should have enough in the muscles for an hour or two generally, so I have read.

Mental states could have something to do as well. If you aren't well rested, physically and mentally, that could lead to a slow Saturday start after a long work week?

Personally, I find it easily takes me 5-10 miles before I start to feel good, did you roll out and immediately try to start going hard?

Do you track your waking heartrate, and if so, was it unusual?

All sorts of possibilities, hope I may have given you some food for thought.

Good luck!

· Registered
988 Posts
How old are you - how fir are you, i.e. have you been active prior to taking up cycling?

· Registered
232 Posts
Lots of little things can affect riding. And everyone has bad days sometimes--and everyone has great days sometiimes. It's just one of those things. You could start keeping a training log, recording food, sleep, rest, workouts, etc. to see if you find a pattern. Otherwise, don't worry about it too much.

· Registered
988 Posts
Not sure - he has been ramping up his training so perhaps a little too hard, take a few days off and ramp up a bit more gently.

· Registered
238 Posts
You bet it's mental. My buddy and I went for a fairly big hill today (first thing) and he ended up only doing a half ride. I went 30 miles and he was dying at 7.5 so he turned around. He wasn't into that hill and it just messed up his head. The funny part is that he did ok on it.

Sometimes when I'm not feeling it, I stick it out because we're both out there. You might need a riding buddy if you've been doing it for awhile and doing the same rides are getting a little old.

Keep a log like someone else mentioned. Good luck...

· Registered
656 Posts
one of the best pieces of advice I got was someone saying "if you're losing interest in training, you're going too hard." It's kept me from overdoing it, which I have a tendency to do.

Also, if your body is telling you it wants a break, listen to it. It knows what is best for you. an extra day off here and there helps immensely for recovery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.