Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Poor Recovery?

719 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  livin4lax09 
#1 · (Edited)
My apologies if this Q belongs over in the Beginners Corner. I am a beginner but I don't see any Qs like this in that forum.

I've been riding seriously since Feb/March - first one ride a week, then two and recently three. Each one is roughly 20 to 30 miles in somewhat hilly country roads well south of Atlanta, Ga.

On Tuesday I went for a short ride after work but really pushed hard (for me that is -- at this point in my "career"). Did 13 miles at about 18 mph average, cadence of 91 and an average heartbeat of 165 for the 45 minute ride. Recovery wise I made sure to have a cool down period at the end of the ride, hydrated well throughout the ride and after AND had the rest of my dinner (only eat 1/3 of eat when I go for a ride after work). Felt fine shortly after the ride and the next day.

Jump forward to this morning (Saturday) as I went out for a 20 mile ride. My legs were spent - really felt like they were out of juice almost from the get go. They actually felt better - like they had some power - after the 10 mile mark but it does make me wonder:

- did I not do something in recovery after the Tuesday ride that I should have?
- is this normal for the "ramp up" in your routine?
- should I rest more or just keep at it? (planning another perhaps longer ride tomorrow).

Sorry for the long post. I'm sure every person is different and this tough to answer, but appreciate any input.

Thanks.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Interesting you should ask about mood. I have to admit this am was the first time since I've gotten serious about riding several months ago that I had even the slightest feeling of "maybe I don't feel like riding this morning." Up to now, I'm often like a kid on Christmas morning before each ride. Really exicted.

Could my mood have really been my body saying "you just don't have it today."??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.