Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having an issue with my bike (2008 Salsa Casseroll w/ 105 drivetrain) since putting a new chain on it almost two weeks ago. I replaced the Shimano HG chain that came with the bike when I bought it back in August 08. Since then I've put about 1800 miles on the bike. The cogs do not look hooked at all (and I've seen ones that are pretty bad before, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm looking for).

The new chain is a 10-speed SRAM PC-1070 that costs around $40.

Here's the thing - the rear derailleur shifts like a dream between the smallest three and largest three gears. But as soon as I get to the middle gears, it will miss shifts completely about 50% of the time. Adjusting the barrel adjuster in the midst of these missed shifts to correct them only ruins the shifting elsewhere.

The cogset is a Shimano 105 12-25 (10-speed) if that matters. I have semi-horizontal dropouts and made sure they are dialed in with identical depth.

Any ideas? I've always been told SRAM chains are at least as good quality as Shimano. I'm about ready to give up and take it to a shop, which I am loathe to do.

Scott

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't want to rain on a parade, but the Cassorell(sp) has an in-betweener rear axle width, I think. So if you're putting in a !30mm axle, a differently spec'd chain could deform the derailleur hanger enough to do what Dave Hickey says. But if the old Shimano chain worked perfectly, and you're really loathe to go to an LBS, why not spring for another Shimano chain first?
Minstrie.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
If installing the SRAM chain is the only change to your drivetrain since removing the OEM chain, I'd put the OEM chain back on (if available). If the problem vanishes once you readjust the RD, replace the OEM chain with a Shimano chain of like quality. With only 1,800 miles on it, I doubt chain stretch is an issue - unless you're super cyclist! :eek:

Ultegra's are usually about $33 at Excel:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...gra+10sp+116&vendorCode=SHIM&major=1&minor=11

EDIT: It might also be worth checking the cassette lockring for tightness.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Last night I took the bike out for a short ride after adjusting it as best I could and surprisingly I had no problems - but when on the bike stand it can miss shifts entirely. I'll keep an eye on it and spring for a new HG chain if I notice it on the road over the next few days.

Scott

·
RoadBikeRider
907 Posts
Any time I have strange shifting issues I check my cables. A frayed inner wire can do strange things to shifting performance. Probably not your problem but an easy thing to check.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
andulong said:
Any time I have strange shifting issues I check my cables. A frayed inner wire can do strange things to shifting performance. Probably not your problem but an easy thing to check.
andulong wins the "correct answer" prize!

I spent some zen time with the bike on the stand, shifting up and down, and trying to observe more than I had seen previously. Sure enough, I noticed that during the shifts that were missed, the rear derailleur was barely moving. This led me to notice the cable was not being pulled consistently.

After worrying for a bit that there could be something wrong with my shifter, I dropped by the LBS for a few shift cables and went to replace mine, hoping I'd pull it out and find some corrosion on it.

Instead, I discovered that my cable was frayed right at the point it entered my shifter. Jackpot! The cable has now been replaced and the shifting is dialed in like the bike was brand new.

Scott

·
Registered
843 Posts
zpl said:
Instead, I discovered that my cable was frayed right at the point it entered my shifter. Jackpot! The cable has now been replaced and the shifting is dialed in like the bike was brand new.
Scott
That's actually quite common with STI especially 10sp. It's usually not much fun digging the cable's "bullet" end out of the shifter either if it happens. A good safe number to replace your shift cables is 1K.

Good catch
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts