Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi recently i have noticed a popping sound from either of my knees. I notice this most frequently when i bend down to get something and i hear what seems to be like a small cracking sound. ( similar to the sound of a knuckle cracking). When i lay reclined on the bed and imitate a normal pedal stroke, i can feel something morvingl and hear a distinct cracking from both knees although it seems to be more pronounced in the left knee. throughout all of this, i feel no pain whatsoever although the more i think about i think i feel something

in '08 eccc season, i've been in a number of crashes where i've banged up my knees and scraped the entire sides of my legs raw and i don't know whether this could be the source of my problem. I ran xc in hs for 4 years and i don't recall getting popping noises from my knees then so this recent development has me worried greatly...anyone have any info on this? thanks

fyi, i have been on several rides about 40~60 miles since the season's finish and i have not really felt any pain specific to my knees. ( just the normal burn from lactic acid and whatnot)

*edit* actually the sound the knees make when i bend over to get something is more akin to a "click"

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
willdrop4food said:
hi recently i have noticed a popping sound from either of my knees. I notice this most frequently when i bend down to get something and i hear what seems to be like a small cracking sound. ( similar to the sound of a knuckle cracking). When i lay reclined on the bed and imitate a normal pedal stroke, i can feel something morvingl and hear a distinct cracking from both knees although it seems to be more pronounced in the left knee. throughout all of this, i feel no pain whatsoever although the more i think about i think i feel something

in '08 eccc season, i've been in a number of crashes where i've banged up my knees and scraped the entire sides of my legs raw and i don't know whether this could be the source of my problem. I ran xc in hs for 4 years and i don't recall getting popping noises from my knees then so this recent development has me worried greatly...anyone have any info on this? thanks

fyi, i have been on several rides about 40~60 miles since the season's finish and i have not really felt any pain specific to my knees. ( just the normal burn from lactic acid and whatnot)

*edit* actually the sound the knees make when i bend over to get something is more akin to a "click"
no rice krispies sound when squatting? (try in a silent place)

you might have damaged your front knee caps?

but I think as long as there is no pain, you should be ok.

when i'm sitting at a desk all day, and then straighten my legs out, they'll click or pop.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Hell my knees have been snap crackle popping for years (see my forum handle).

Root cause is a broken kneecap in 87. I've been to a few doc's over the years to look at it and see if medicine has a cure yet, no dice yet.

The good news though is it doesn't hurt and as long as I do the usual "take care of your knees" things like legwarmers and spinning, no problems.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
If it makes a 'click' every time you move your knee, and you can feel something moving in there, then you should probably go see a sports doctor.

If it 'clicks' or pops (like knuckes pop) only once or twice when you get up from sitting, it's probably ok. At least I hope so- my wrists ankles and knees have popped like that for 25 years. It bothers people around me so I try not to do it when someone's near, but as far as I can tell it's harmless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.