Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

First post here and honestly still a noob after a year of getting into mountain biking pretty seriously for a year but want to try something new. So here I am. Anyways I am casually in the market for a CX bike. After a bit of research I've decided that I really like the Lemond Poprad Disc. I like the looks, good reviews, decently spec'd, and have had a good experience with BB7's on my mountain bike.

I've searched around and have found a LBS that will sell a 2008 Lemond Poprad Disc for $1,099. After watching what these go for on ebay used, this seems like a pretty good deal. A reason for me wanting to buy new (as opposed to used) is that it's a CX bike and I have every intention of using it offroad and possibly the frame warranty if need be. I know I won't be doing any crazy drops or anything like that but I would like to use it accordingly (fireroads, singletrack).

My question is; is the steel frame that comes with the Poprad strong enough to withstand offroad and road use for years to come? I ask because if I can find a used Poprad and the frame would be strong enough for me not to have to really worry about it breaking, then I might go that route (used route). If not then maybe buying brand new from the LBS would be a good idea with the frame warranty and all.

I guess another important question is whether or not Lemond will continue to honor their warranty now that they are being dropped?

Thanks for any info you guys may have.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
The Poprad is more than strong enough, it's a great bike.

I believe that Trek will be honoring the Lemond warranty still.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You might also want to look at the Salsa La Cruz. Excellent bike with a great frame and fork. If I remember right, the Poprad uses 130mm spaced rear hubs, which are very difficult to find, whereas the La Cruz uses the more common 135mm spaced rear hub. Most disc brake compatible hubs are 135mm which is the standard for mountain bikes, so its easier to get wheelsets. If I am wrong somebody please correct me.

Also, some people are not to keen on a carbon fiber disc brake fork. Its probably okay for your use, but some warn of cracking from the stresses a disc caliper puts on it. Haven't seen it myself, but if you really want to play it safe the La Cruz is an all steel front fork also.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I thought it would be harder to get a 135mm rear wheel as most 700c wheels come with 130mm spaced hubs for road riding..and most mountain bikes (sans 29ers) are 26ers. I had to build up my wheels special and I will have to do it again for the second set I am getting.

You bring up a good point though. The La Cruz and the Poprad are really comparable bikes (I'd like to see a side by side test). I tested the 2007 Poprad disc and likes it, but I didn't love it enough to pull the trigger. I think the Salsa is slightly better speced with a mix of Shimano, Truvativ, Salsa, DT Swiss and the Poprad is a mix of Shimano 105 and Butt-Ranger Parts (sorry...I've just been waiting to call it that for a long time). I really like Salsa's take on cross geometry.

I have a carbon fork with disc brakes on my Las Cruces and there are no issues... I love it and it may take the edge off a rough ride. I did some serious rough riding a couple weeks ago and I kept looking to see if I had a flat tire, it was so smooth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dajianshan said:
I thought it would be harder to get a 135mm rear wheel as most 700c wheels come with 130mm spaced hubs for road riding..and most mountain bikes (sans 29ers) are 26ers. I had to build up my wheels special and I will have to do it again for the second set I am getting.

You bring up a good point though. The La Cruz and the Poprad are really comparable bikes (I'd like to see a side by side test). I tested the 2007 Poprad disc and likes it, but I didn't love it enough to pull the trigger. I think the Salsa is slightly better speced with a mix of Shimano, Truvativ, Salsa, DT Swiss and the Poprad is a mix of Shimano 105 and Butt-Ranger Parts (sorry...I've just been waiting to call it that for a long time). I really like Salsa's take on cross geometry.

I have a carbon fork with disc brakes on my Las Cruces and there are no issues... I love it and it may take the edge off a rough ride. I did some serious rough riding a couple weeks ago and I kept looking to see if I had a flat tire, it was so smooth.

Would I really have to have a wheelset built up specifically for this ride or are there some wheelsets that will work with it? If I went that route it sounds like the wheelset would pretty much be compatible with the Poprad, yes? There are no spacers or modifications I can do to make the 130mm hubs work in a 135mm application? Just a shot in the dark here.

I hadn't really considered the Salsa because it cost about $500 less (based on the $1,099 price my LBS will sell for). Also, I know it's not as good a reason but, I love the looks of the Poprad. I'm not sure what it is but it just looks so right IMO.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the La Cruz and Poprad uses the TrueTemper OX frame, spacing is different on the rear hub, as stated, the poprad is 130 and la cruz is 135. 135 disc hubs are easier and cheaper, I have only found 2 130 hubs, Paul Wood($430) and Velocity($99). Both bikes ride great, and are fairly light and the 08 poprad I have has so far taken a beating and keeps on ticking. Something to note, I'm at 230 lbs and have a done some bit of single track but with the majority of the miles on the road.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ryandood said:
Would I really have to have a wheelset built up specifically for this ride or are there some wheelsets that will work with it? If I went that route it sounds like the wheelset would pretty much be compatible with the Poprad, yes? There are no spacers or modifications I can do to make the 130mm hubs work in a 135mm application? Just a shot in the dark here.

I hadn't really considered the Salsa because it cost about $500 less (based on the $1,099 price my LBS will sell for). Also, I know it's not as good a reason but, I love the looks of the Poprad. I'm not sure what it is but it just looks so right IMO.
See if your LBS can swap out the axles on a set of MTB hubs for 130mm spacing. Or see if you can get the shop to do a coldset on the frame but check first to see if the warranty would be violated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go Poprad

I beat my Poprad senseless at 200lbs. Lots of fire roads, single track, and have taken diggers, and the only thing that has worn out, have been tires and scuffed bar tape. I really like the disc brakes, they help me correct myself when I'm going to fast and make mistakes, and they are just so easy to adjust. The stock Bontrager wheels are good, and lighter than the salsas, you can get them separate and FSA also makes a 130 disc wheel. Get the new one, thats a great price for a freshy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have several sets of 135mm wheels in the back of my Poprad disc, they drop right in. Call it manufacturing tolerances of what have you, but they work great. I'm 185lbs, and the bike is a bit flexy off road, but it's really well mannered. I have no concerns at all that if you buy the bike as the original owner, Trek will take of you down the road. I hate to say it, but the shop does have a lot to do with that as well. That's a good price for that bike, and I have been loving mine so far. Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Echo all of the above - I had my 2002 Poprad (reynolds 853 main tubes) in Iraq for a 15 month deployment and put over 9K miles on it just that year on those messed up roads. The roads were so bad that I cracked my Ksyrium SL wheels at multiple spoke inserts on the rear (although I still ride them today without any problems). The frame is indestructable and one of the best rides I've ever been on. You can't go wrong with either frame - there's still something to be said about a good steel frame!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't kill it...

Hey -- just for the record, I've got a stock spec 2006 Poprad disc that I use for winter/rain commuting and off roading (fire trails and a little bit of rougher stuff). I'm 200 lbs. and beat the snot out of it. Thus far, no problems. I'm still in love with the bike -- it's comfortable and takes a beating without complaint. Now if I could just find a second wheelset...

Edit: Oh ya...first post. Look at me, everybody!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.