Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I've done it! I was nearly ready to get the Lemond Poprad ('06 in Very Cool Orange, canti not disc) but a friend thought I should check out the Redline Conquest (not the Pro or the disc) at my LBS. They had an '05 (red paint job, not the new blue) in my size (54, the Poprad is a 52). It was verrrry sweet. And for the same $$ as the stock Poprad (105 groupo with Bontrager Select wheels) I would be able to make the Conquest all Ultegra groupo and a wheel set with Ultegra hubs with 32 spoke 3-cross and they recommend Velocity Aerohead rims. For either bike I was looking to put 50 on the front ring, no charge. I will also add that I REALLY did not like the brake chatter on the Poprad--it was very noticeable--while the braking on the Conquest was far smoother. This could be the deciding factor, if nothing else comes up.

Both bikes come from LBSs that are top notch as far as technical service and repair, both have excellent reputations, they each rebuild and lube the bikes head to toe before they sell, give good fitting, and stand behind the bikes with lifetime warranties on defects, etc. So I thought I'd see if there are strong opinions of one over the other. Ah, such problems! Thanks!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
in my experience, brake chatter has more to do with the pads, brakes, toe in and how they were set up, more so than the bikes that they are on. The guys at the Redline LBS might be better CX mechs than the guys at the other LBS? Also are they the same brakeset on both bikes?

jb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeremyb said:
in my experience, brake chatter has more to do with the pads, brakes, toe in and how they were set up, more so than the bikes that they are on. The guys at the Redline LBS might be better CX mechs than the guys at the other LBS? Also are they the same brakeset on both bikes?

jb

Good point about mechanic expertise confounding the issue (another reason to choose the Redline over the Poprad?). The toeing could be subtle for the Poprad. It looked pretty good, and you only have so much room, don't want to overdue it.

The Poprad comes stock with Avid Shorty 4's and the Conquest with TektroOryx 992's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Brake Chatter = Not ebough Toe-In

I really like my 58 Redline (blue). I do not think that the braking difference has anything to do with the frames. My Redline chattered and stuttered until I worked on the brakes myself. I used a Livestrong band to set the toe-in and it worked great.

Get the one that fiys the best - do not get on that is way too small - as you ride you may find that you start to want to stretch out on the bike more and more.

David K

·
Registered
148 Posts
Which to choose

I've had 3 steels,2 ti's and currently have a redline "scandium" aluminum.The Redline is the most responsive when I stomp,and it just feels quick.That said,I don't enjoy riding it for more than an hour.After an hour,I start to get tired of the ride and after 2 hours,I just want off of it.

So,I'm shopping again.I like a cross bike that i can do long training rides on in the winter,and i think ti or steel provide a better balance. I suspect that carbon may provide the best of everything,but no one makes carbon in a geometry I like,and I don't have the nerve to try a custom.

I have had more trouble with fork chatter on ti and steel than aluminum,since the front/head triangle is more flexy.

dan

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I second Dan's experience with his Redline. Mine was a 2000 (I think; the Kermit the Frog green one) and was basic 7005 alloy, a very meat-and-potatoes, basic but competent bike. It was great to ride--for an hour or two, but I don't think I've ridden anything else that made me feel so beat-up. I don't know how much refining has taken place in the intervening years, so take the preceding with a grain of salt. As for the Poprad, I can't comment--yet--but I should have a very clean, used '01 by next week that I hope to thrash in the coming months.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Different Point Of View

The Walrus said:
I second Dan's experience with his Redline. Mine was a 2000 (I think; the Kermit the Frog green one) and was basic 7005 alloy, a very meat-and-potatoes, basic but competent bike. It was great to ride--for an hour or two, but I don't think I've ridden anything else that made me feel so beat-up. I don't know how much refining has taken place in the intervening years, so take the preceding with a grain of salt. As for the Poprad, I can't comment--yet--but I should have a very clean, used '01 by next week that I hope to thrash in the coming months.
It's all individual perspective. I road a green Redline for a few weeks last year until I discovered that it had a cracked headtube. I loved the way it felt compared to my 1990 Cannondale road bike!

The green was replaced with a new Redline and I then added the Redline carbon fork to it - I really like the ride. But, I have not ridden a nice steel bike in about 20 years and I have never ridden a full carbon bike.

IMHO tires and tire pressure are the biggest factors in determining comfort.

David K

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Fork shudder is setup...

not the bikes fault. Some forks can be flexy and more sensitive but with different pads and more toe in it will ususally go away. Making sure the rims are smooth can help too. My Salsa rims when new were a bit grabby due to the machined sidewalls. After a little time it all good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts