Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys, I've lurked around here for a long time now, and have posted a few times.

I live in Olympia, Washington and have recently sent my letter of intent to go to Portland State. I know that Portland is one of the most bike friendly cities in the world, and I have always wanted to get a road bike. I figured now that I have been saving up for a while and it is summer time, it would be a good time to buy my first road bike!

So since I'm going to live in Portland, I was wondering what exactly I should buy. I have been very interested in the CAAD8 105 since I first discovered this wonderful site. I think that would be a good option, but let me know what you guys think.

Is there anything better in the same price range? Or maybe should I just get a fixie or a singlespeed for riding around the city?

Thanks guys,
Tyler

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well it really depends on what you want to do in Portland.

Cruise around town to buy artisanal cheeses and homebrews in mason jars? Fixie/SS with a basket.

Wear shiny-stretchy clothing and ride outside of the city, perhaps up mountains and over long distances? Grab that CAAD8.

Personally, I'd get both.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it really depends on what you want to do in Portland.

Cruise around town to buy artisanal cheeses and homebrews in mason jars? Fixie/SS with a basket.

Wear shiny-stretchy clothing and ride outside of the city, perhaps up mountains and over long distances? Grab that CAAD8.

Personally, I'd get both.
Agree with MrMook.
You can always buy an old 10 speed from the 70s at a garage sale for like 30 bucks and convert it to a single or fixie.
You guys are right. I'm just going to have to get both. I want to ride around the city just to get places so the single speed would be nice. But I also want to explore and ride for exercise and I think a CAAD8 or something comparable would be good for that. So looks like I will have to just get both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.