Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be careful of what type of coffee you drink unless you want a cease and desist letter served up with your espresso. From Bicycle Retailer and Industry News:
Specialized Goes after Mountain Cycle over Stumptown Name

FEBRUARY 02, 2006 -- PORTLAND, OR (BRAIN)—When Portland-based Kinesis USA launched a Mountain Cycle cyclocross bike equally adept at racing, single-speed use and commuting, they hardly anticipated that Specialized would have a problem with the name choice: Stumptown.

Kinesis tried to capture Portland’s core bicycle culture by using the city’s own Stumptown moniker, a popular reference to downtown Portland.

In Portland, local residents in need of a java fix don’t turn to Seattle’s Starbucks, but their own Stumptown Coffee Roasters. The comic convention is called the Stumptown Comics Fest. And Eugene Snyder wrote a popular history book, Early Portland: Stumptown Triumphant.

“So far they have not filed any thing, but they are strongly insisting that we cease and desist using the name because it causes consumer confusion with Stumpjumper,” said Michael Nover, Kinesis USA’s president.

At this point Kinesis intends to continue using its Stumptown name, which it has since model year 2003, because of its aptness for Portland. Specialized so far is not commenting on the issue.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Unoveloce said:
FEBRUARY 02, 2006 -- PORTLAND, OR (BRAIN)—When Portland-based Kinesis USA launched a Mountain Cycle cyclocross bike equally adept at racing, single-speed use and commuting, they hardly anticipated that Specialized would have a problem with the name choice: Stumptown.
I read about this on www.bikeportland.org yesterday. Totally bogus IMHO. I wrote to Specialized customer service diplomatically saying as much.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe Duane and Co. over at Stumptown Roasting ought to make a special Stumpjumper blend in honor of this dispure.

They could make it a very bitter coffee.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts