Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i'm trying to reposition my brighters so they don't look so newbish. They seem to look like they are too high up on the bar when they were installed from the factory. I have already removed the bar tape but am unsure on how to loosen the band that holds the brighters to the bar. I am using Shimano Sora shifters on a traditional drop bar. I positioned the bar with a very slight angle downward (it was angled really steeply to make the brighters look alright) and am using this bike as a reference to how everything should look:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8RA95D.html

Is there any scientific way of doing this or is it all personal preference?

· Registered
758 Posts
See the recent thread....

"road bike and drop bar shifter position" for some helpful tips and commentary on the subject.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Put them where you want them.

There are theories and diagrams all over about this, generally recommending that you aim the open end of the bars roughly at the rear brake, then place the levers so a straightedge held along the bottom of the drop portion just touches the end of the lever. Really, though, you should put them where they feel best to you, and for the love of GOD don't consider how they might look to somebody else. They're not a decorative accessory; they need to be where you can use them easily.
As for loosening them, all of mine use a 5 or 6mm allen wrench inserted above the movable part of the lever, into the slot that opens up when you apply the brakes. You'll see a bolt in there.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cory said:
There are theories and diagrams all over about this, generally recommending that you aim the open end of the bars roughly at the rear brake, then place the levers so a straightedge held along the bottom of the drop portion just touches the end of the lever.
Sounds good, this is sort of the answer I was looking for. I'll post some pictures later

Really, though, you should put them where they feel best to you, and for the love of GOD don't consider how they might look to somebody else. They're not a decorative accessory; they need to be where you can use them easily.
Yeah, maybe I phrased it poorly...that is what I meant right now it "looks" like a badly assembled walmart bike and I know something is definately wrong. Bikesdirect...just attach the wheels and go! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice! It is very much appreciated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.