Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Overtaxed RBR member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...new member here but I have been on MTBR for a while.
I am an expert mountain bike racer and avid roadie from Philadelphia. My company is starting a new department in Atlanta and they want me to move there. I have never been south of N. Carolina(but I have been out west). I am kind of leery about moving away from here because even though the winters can suck, the cycling scene here is good.
What is the road riding like there?
What is the city like?
:confused:
The guys on MTBR said the mountain biking is good although they didn't say how the racing scene is.
Thanks in advance for your input.

· Registered
31 Posts
Riding in Atlanta can be tricky. If you move to one of the suburbs, you will have all the country roads you want with hills galore. We are in the foothills here. If you move to a congested area, traffic can be a problem. We drive very fast here.

There is lots of riding, some great rides, teams and training groups. You can ride 12 months out of the year and find any kind of riding you want.:)

· Registered
714 Posts
I am in-town. Right in the heart of Atlanta.

Despite being a cycling unfriendly city, the road racing scene here is very strong. Lots of clubs and lots of riders.

PM me if you want the lowdown on clubs, rides, etc.

BTW: if you like gridlock, you'll love Atlanta's suburbs! This metro area is a place where
smaller house + reverse commute = improved quality of live.

· Registered
73 Posts
As mentioned, the road scene here is very good, lots of rides with some decent quality riders.
Between GA, TN and NC there are a lot of MTB and road races, should be enough to keep you quite happy and within reasonable driving distance.

If you want proximity to the best mountainbiking I recommend living on the northern side. No great trails real close to the city but a bunch of great trails in the N. GA mtns.

Having lived in PA, I prefer the Georgia scene due to the weather and number of races throughout the year.

Check out tbra.org, sadlebred.com, goneriding.com, ncsccyclingassoc.com, georgiacup.com for a feel of what the region has to offer.

· Registered
494 Posts
Atlanta is not the cycling h*ll it's made out to be. I've been riding here for nearly 10 years now and love it! We have great country roads about a 45 minute drive from the city, less if you live in the burbs. There is also some good riding inside the city limits. There are group rides all over the city, just choose where you live. We have a very vibrant, active cycling community. As far as racing goes, the Georgia Cup puts on the biggest series in the state on the road. www.georgiacup.com. Goneriding.com has the mountain bike scene covered with two great mtb race series. SORBA.org covers everything else mountain biking you could possibly want. Live near where you work, traffic is bad! Drop me an email off of my site if you have any specific questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.