Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post a couple of pic's of my new ride. I spent 8 months of 2008 undergoing cancer treatment (Chemo & Radiation) and couldn't wait to jump back on my trusty 'ol steed. My wonderful wife of 22 years said it was time to put the steel out to pasture and get something new. Well, I tried all of my buddies bikes; Colnago C-50, Felt F3,Trek Madone 5.2, and a Cannondale Super Six. Oddly enough, the one that got me the most excited was the one I least wanted to try, a Kestrel RT-800. My buddy told me to keep an open mind. Well, I'm glad I did because this bike is a sleeper. Anyhow, I looked around and found a new 2007 Kestrel RT-700 frame on ebay for $600 and snapped it up. Being a Campy guy I ordered the 11-speed Record Group ($1200 via the UK), and was upgraded to a Super Record Crank, BB and front derailleur at no extra charge due to them being out of the Record components. The cassette is Chorus, as I refuse to buy another Ti cassette and watch it wear away in RECORD time! :mad: The bars, stem, and seat post are DEDA. Stayed with a Specialized Toupe saddle. Why change what's workin'? Lastly, I finally made the switch from sew-ups to clinchers. Ron Ruff of White Mountain Wheels built me an incredible pair of wheels using Record hubs and Ambrosio Excellight rims. I've been back on the bike for a little over a month and couldn't be happier. :D

Cheers!
Mike

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Congrats on your battle, this is definitely a nice gift, but nothing compared to your iron will.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FORT-Cyclist said:
Great Bike!
It seems you would be better of with a straight seat post.
Why got you this Kestrel frame the most exited?
You're absolutely right about the seat post FORT. I bought this over a year ago to use on another frame and never did. I figured I'd try it out on the Kestrel, but it has too much set back for this frame. I'm ordering a new one soon.
"What excited me about this frame?" Well, to tell you the truth I had very low expectations. I finally took it for a test ride just so my friend wouldn't feel bad. He loves his Kestrel, but it did nothing for me. The look of the frame, especially the top of the seat tube area looked odd as it was originally designed for an aero seat post. I still don't care for it.
However, once I took it out climbing I finally realized what my friend had been raving about. I'm half the climber my friend is, but this bike just seemed to rocket up the hills for me. I still suffered on the steeper sections, but I didn't feel like I was wasting any energy. Descending was even better. The handling was quick, but confidence inspiring even at high speed and it held it's line extremely well. The ride was very smooth and stable even over rougher patches of road. I'm really glad I tried this bike out. The others were very nice as well, but this one just works so well for me. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Guys!

Thanks for all of your kind words of encouragement guys. It's nice to know there are others on this forum who've done battle with Cancer and are still riding their asses off! :thumbsup:

Cheers!
Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Mike congrats on your new bike and also on your success on fighting the big C. I am thinking of getting a pair of Ambrosio Excellent rims with Record hubs and Sapim spokes for my new C-50.
How do you like this wheelset and how heavy are they?

Cheers,
Roy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
royd said:
Hi Mike congrats on your new bike and also on your success on fighting the big C. I am thinking of getting a pair of Ambrosio Excellent rims with Record hubs and Sapim spokes for my new C-50.
How do you like this wheelset and how heavy are they?

Cheers,
Roy
Thanks Roy, the wheels are fantastic. I have to admit that I've always been a big fan of Ambrosio rims which till this point have always been tubular. When Ron finished the wheels he gave me the exact weights, but I've somehow misplaced the numbers. I believe they were under 1600 grams if I'm not mistaken. Suffice it to say that they "feel" much lighter than that number would suggest and spin up just as fast as any sew up I've owned. They also have a nice understated look. As a bonus, the Conti 4000s clinchers fit without a fight on the Excellights. I've heard the horror stories about Conti's being particularly hard to install on certain rims.

Cheers!
Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shocked!

Almost forgot to mention this. At the end of my ride today I swung by the LBS to see how much this bike REALLY weighs. The only thing I removed before weighing it was my water bottle and my ass! I made a bet with the mechanics that it would probably be just under 17 lbs. Well, I wasn't even close. It weighs 15.15 lbs. exactly! No wonder it feels like I'm flying up these hills!

Cheers!
Mike

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts
wow.....

:)
beautiful bike man.....
i have lost many loved people to cancer including my father at a very young age.:sad:

you are all an inspiration to me. (thank you)

ive been wearing my livestrong bracelet for as long as i can remember. it is more valuable to me than gold, and the value goes up every time i reaD or hear something like that.......

godspeed.
livestrong my friend.
:eek:

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
Congratulations!

Hi Mike. Beautiful bike!

Way to go on your battle with the big C. Same to the rest of the survivors on this thread. You represent hope and inspiration for many others in their battles back to good health. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks for the great thread. Truly an awesome looking bike, and 15.15lbs, I don't think it's UCI legal :D !!!! By the way, pretty inspiring story for me on this bleak Monday, to hear about someone who has been a lot worse off, fought through it, and is prospering through a good life! All of this worrying and whining about the economy and the stock markets gets put into real perspective when it comes to this story! Thanks again!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Where did you find the Campy 11 speed for $1200?
I just looked at PBK and its 1374 pounds. Thats like 2k dollars..not much different than here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ashpelham said:
Thanks for the great thread. Truly an awesome looking bike, and 15.15lbs, I don't think it's UCI legal :D !!!! By the way, pretty inspiring story for me on this bleak Monday, to hear about someone who has been a lot worse off, fought through it, and is prospering through a good life! All of this worrying and whining about the economy and the stock markets gets put into real perspective when it comes to this story! Thanks again!
Thanks Ashpelham. Glad I could help. Here's a picture of the woman who has inspired me for 22 years. We just celebrated our anniversary last week out on Catalina Island. Life is very good!:D

Cheers!
Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts