Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently involved in a group ride crash. My carbon frame didn't get a mark on it but my 3 week old 3T Ergonova Carbon bars got a flat spot ground into them just below the right shifter clamp. I'm considering not replacing them given where the flat spot is located. (photos attached)

I'm looking for advise / wisdom on weather to replace the bars.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Looks as though the crash only scuffed off some of the paint and the applied texture in the clamping area. There don't seem to be any visible cracks or exposed CF threads. I'd continue to ride them.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Go Pro

Definitely replace. Go with the Pro aluminuim version, rides nice and appropriately priced for a pair of bars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Carbon failure

The problem is that carbon basically fails all at once. It will seem fine and then snap, it breaks. You really don't want that happening on your handlebars, so it is time for them to go.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,158 Posts
Replace. Imagine THAT snapping on you.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Not trying to start a flame up, here, but why is it everyone says it'll just snap on you. I had a saddle with carbon fiber rails fail on me-- 80 miles into a century-- thing is, they didn't "just go", the saddle felt mushy and the rails had splintered, but held- I was able to finish the ride by sitting forward on the seat.

I just keep seeing these statements about how it just snaps and that's it. My experience was the opposite.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Snap

Mdeth1313 said:
I just keep seeing these statements about how it just snaps and that's it. My experience was the opposite.
Well with a seat post failure it is a bit easier to control your bike than with a handlebar failure. Seen it happen, rider bunny hopped another rider who crashed in front of him and when he landed the carbon bars failed with a snap. So what would have been an elegant recovery and crash avoidance resulted in some deep, nasty road rash and could have been worse. How's your dental insurance?

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
How about giving a carbon repair facility a call?

Calfee or RRVelo and see what they say. Or even better and call 3T.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for your response. The repair route was an option that I didn't consider. If that is not possible or cost effective, I'll just replace them as the group suggests.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Who would have imagined that continuity of factory applied paint, sand, and clearcoat were integral to the strength of a pair of carbon bars???? Check with 3T and see what they suggest.

G

·
cdhbrad said:
Who would have imagined that continuity of factory applied paint, sand, and clearcoat were integral to the strength of a pair of carbon bars???? Check with 3T and see what they suggest.
The problem w/ carbon is that it sometimes doesn't show any outwards signs of damage and can fail catastrophically without any warning. Sometimes it fails by splintering and sometimes it just gives up the ghost and completely snaps. I’ve seen many a carbon arrow that looked completely fine explode when shot and I’ve seen them splinter. I’ve also seen carbon bars snap and the rider go endo and if you’re not expecting it, you could be using your face to break you fall.

I know that there’s places that can repair carbon parts and I would recommend contacting one of them to get their opinion. If not, just replace or you could be in for a surprise when you least expect it.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
the main point

is that I wouldn't put my life in the hands of a few schmucks on the internet.

I ride alloy bars, because I just have seen too many carbon ones broken in wrecks.

Yours don't look TOO bad, but, from across the country / world, who can say?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts