Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On only the third ride with my 2017 Roubaix Elite, had my first crash (dog got away from it's owner chasing a squirrel and ran into my rear wheel). Right hood is a bit scuffed, and I saw no other damage until i flipped the bike over to put it in the car.

There is damage under the top tube. I am new to carbon bikes, but from the picture should i be concerned about structural integrity or any issues down the road? I rode the bike 10 miles after hitting the deck, and everything felt normal. The damage area is smaller than the fingernail of a pinky finger.

Should I put clear fingernail polish or anything over the area to protect it?

Yellow White Colorfulness Black Grey

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
On only the third ride with my 2017 Roubaix Elite, had my first crash (dog got away from it's owner chasing a squirrel and ran into my rear wheel). Right hood is a bit scuffed, and I saw no other damage until i flipped the bike over to put it in the car.

There is damage under the top tube. I am new to carbon bikes, but from the picture should i be concerned about structural integrity or any issues down the road? I rode the bike 10 miles after hitting the deck, and everything felt normal. The damage area is smaller than the fingernail of a pinky finger.

Should I put clear fingernail polish or anything over the area to protect it?

View attachment 316848
Ride the hell out of it. Whack up some hills out of the saddle and see if that little blemish gets worse.

Top tubes can be dented, or considerably weakened, but don't have to absorb hardly any torsional loads, so don't come apart, that is, reach their point of material failure over time. They stay pretty much passive in the scheme of things.

I would dab some touch up paint on it and ride. Keep an eye on it to see if it grows! :shocked: I bet it won't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems to pass the coin test and just a deeper scuff down to the carbon. Am really bummed this happened on such a new bike! At least it can't be scene while riding.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Hard to say from that photo, but that looks like a handlebar ding. If you turn the bar to that side is that where it hits?

I agree that for DIY, the only think you can do is tap it with a coin and see if the sound changes in that area.

Beyond that, you'd have to send it off to Calfee (or someone with proper test equipment) to see if there damage to the weave/matrix below the finish.\

If you are worried about aesthetics, you can put something clear over it, but it's not needed from an integrity standpoint.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
After ANY crash, I would take it to a reputable shop that you trust to go over it with a fine-tooth comb. That blemish does look superficial, but there may be something else you haven't found yet.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
After ANY crash, I would take it to a reputable shop that you trust to go over it with a fine-tooth comb. That blemish does look superficial, but there may be something else you haven't found yet.
Exactly! It's just not worth the risk ignoring it..

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
most reputable shop, even the highest of high end ones, don't have the experts and specialized equipment required to properly examine a carbon frame after a crash.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
most reputable shop, even the highest of high end ones, don't have the experts and specialized equipment required to properly examine a carbon frame after a crash.
Steel never has that problem. It takes a long time to break and gives plenty of warning. So I guess do the coin test and hope for the best!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Fredrico, c'mon man. Do you have to bring this up in every thread?

Trust me, we all know you love steel. Just put something in your signature. It'll save you a lot of time posting it in every thread...

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Fredrico, c'mon man. Do you have to bring this up in every thread?

Trust me, we all know you love steel. Just put something in your signature. It'll save you a lot of time posting it in every thread...
Just trying to show the big picture! :D

I really think a little ding like that is immaterial, on the top tube anyway, and am amused that y'all think examining the nick with x-rays is prudent or necessary. If that causes major anxiety, why mess with carbon in the first place? I'd just do the coin test, ride it, and see what happens. If it still rides good next week, stop worrying. Put some clear nail polish over it and ride on, bike proudly wearing the battle scar. There will be many more.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Exactly! It's just not worth the risk ignoring it..
I hear what others are saying, but I agree with these guys and I wouldn't do anything that will void your warranty, should you need it down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.