Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...

might seem like a dumb question but as a newby....

I went out this weekend with all intentions of doing 100k. I usually do anywhere between 50 - 75k. However, after just 11 miles out, i thought i was going to die. I almost passed out. I felty as if it was my very first ride. Can you guys please share some insight on how to prevent this from happening?

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
I've been down for a couple weeks with a chest thing and I can feel its taken its toll. I'm not sure if there's any way around losing fitness while being sick. When you immune system is down any exertion on it only makes things worse. Rest is the only way and resting is not riding, or even walking. I've been pounding my body with vitamins and healthy stuff and I still feel completely drained. The only thing you can do I believe is work your way back up the ladder. You could always try caffeine on your next ride to give you a little boost. There's a new thing out by Power Bar thats supposedly a good source of Vitamin C as well http://www.powerbar.com/products/19/POWERBAR®_GEL_BLAST_Lemon.aspx I dunno though overall I think it's just about building yourself back up after whatever has come in and messed ya up.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Just recovering from the flu is not the best time for a 100% increase in mileage. You may want to take it easy for the next few rides. Your immune system is probably still a little weak so stressing your body too much right now will put you right back where you were.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
If you really had the flu...that's a serious illness. People can die from that! Start slowly, Real slowly. Your whole physical system has just come through a major trauma. Be good to yourself. Be patient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.