Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 1296 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice build

Very nice piece of equipment you have there. What size frame is that, and if you wouldn't mind what is the crank center to seat dimension and seat nose to handle bar center dimension. I'm hoping to move up to a 585 this spring, but I'm a little worried about sizing. I'm 6'0" and when I check the frame dimensions for a size 57 it seems like I may have to have too much spacer under the stem to have a nice balanced appearance to the build, which yours certainly has!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marlin Perkins said:
Very nice piece of equipment you have there. What size frame is that, and if you wouldn't mind what is the crank center to seat dimension and seat nose to handle bar center dimension. I'm hoping to move up to a 585 this spring, but I'm a little worried about sizing. I'm 6'0" and when I check the frame dimensions for a size 57 it seems like I may have to have too much spacer under the stem to have a nice balanced appearance to the build, which yours certainly has!
My 585 is a size medium, which according to their specs means that seat tube length is equivalent to a 53cm c-c. I don't know what the crank to seat distance is, but the distance from the nose of the saddle to the center of the bars is 55.5cm. In the picture I posted I had a 1cm. spacer under the stem, but since it was taken I added another .5cm. since I also raised my saddle a bit. In terms of spacer comparisons my other bike with more traditional dimensions (no sloping top tube) required me to have 2.5cm. of spacers under the stem, and its seat tube measered 54cm. c-c. It did not have an integrated headset. Perhaps Look's semi-compact geometry allows for a slightly longer head tube for a given size, so you might be okay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Look 481sl

I have the red and black 386i posted earlier. Unfortunately it had to go back to Veltec for them to look at a loose front deraileur hanger. No news yet. Here is my newly built blue and white 2004 481SL.

Easton ec90 carbon bar
Ritchey WCS stem
Velomax Orion II rims
Michelin Pro Race 2 tires
Dura Ace 7800 10 speed
Dura Ace 7800 pedals
Terry Ti Fly saddle

Rides great. Can't really explain it but it feels more "airy" than the 386i which is great too.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
As well as Record...

peterpen said:
Verrrry nice. How do you like the Stella Azzurra crankset? Specifically, how is the shifting? Thinking about getting some - it's between them and the Stronglight Pulsion, but the Stella's are waaay more bling. On the other hand, the Pulsion's are only 440 grams including rings. :eek:
Although they come with no teflon coating I can tell no difference between 04 Record CF (which I had on before) and these S Azzurra Guizzo... meaning they shift as well as any crankset could.... they sure made my 486 look different.... in a nice way ... I like 'em :). At certain point I had to stop letting the weight dictate what kinda bike I can have if you know what I mean....

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yowsa! Sweet!

·
Registered
142 Posts

Beautifull bike.
I have got to say I am anxious to get my hands on one of those.
As you can see I love the 486 but the 585 is likely to put me squarley in the dog house.
Oh well based on my history its starting to feel like home.
Ok I have to ask "Scotland Boy" are you in Scotland ?
Are you riding that beautifull rig over those roads?
If so we want a full OFF ROAD review of its handling abilitys.
(no offense to Scotland of course)
Having visited family again recently I must say you would have to have nerves of steel dealing with some the roads and drivers in the Edinburg region.
Congratulations on your new ride.

·
Bike Rider
52 Posts
Mulowe said:
Beautifull bike.
Ok I have to ask "Scotland Boy" are you in Scotland ?
Are you riding that beautifull rig over those roads?
If so we want a full OFF ROAD review of its handling abilitys.
(no offense to Scotland of course)
Having visited family again recently I must say you would have to have nerves of steel dealing with some the roads and drivers in the Edinburg region.
Congratulations on your new ride.
No offence taken. I'm actually living in Englandshire at the moment but not for too much longer. I'm missing the motherland!
The roads around Edinburgh are really bad. I'm from further north near Inverness though and the roads there are pretty good. I've found that the bike is just so smooth over bumps and potholes. It seems to just glide along. Also, with the sloping geometry, the resultant long seat post seems to flex a bit more giving more comfort. I have come from an Alu frame so I suppose any carbon frame copes well with bumps in comparison. On long descents it just handles. I love it. The best bike in the world.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts

Our team was sponsored by Look in the late 80's, they furnished most guys on the team carbon, but they didn't have anything big enough to fit me with the exception of one of these 753 Hinnault frames. It's a 62, running a Mavic group (Crank, brakes/levers, F/R deraillers, hubs, rims, seatpost, stem, bottom bracket and headset, with DA bar ends, Look pedals, Concor saddle and various 7 and 8 speed Sachs freewheels. I have Huret indexed downtube shifters, maybe it's time to throw those on. Recently rebuilt the wheels, as this was the primary ride before getting a modern 10 speed road bike.

The frame needs restoration, a project for this winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is some pics of my new Look 555(size 55) equiped with Campa Centaur with FSA Gossamer Compact Crank with 50/15 and Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. The weight is about 8kg with my Ksyrium SL i guess :confused: Im gonna buy a new handlebar in the end of the summer and maby some chorus components to get the weight down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bixe said:
The 585:

Campy Record w/ Carbon cranks, Zero Gravity Ti calipers,

Selcof carbon post and Aliante Carbon Rail saddle,

Ritchey WCS stem and Deda 215 Shallow bar,

Speedplay X-1 pedals, Arundel cages,

Wheels: Hugi 240S hubs, DT RR1.1 hoops and Sapim CX-Ray spokes, 28F/32R,

The size XL/ 57.5 TT weighs in at just under 15.5 lbs as you see it.

Bixe: Nice bike! I was thinking of doing essentially the same build. How is the ride with the DT Swiss wheels? How well do the Zero Gravity brakes work?

41 - 60 of 1296 Posts