Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Here is another, an early 90's sporting full Shimano 105 ( 1050 group )

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Quills all...

I was about to show mine, also a quill from 1989. Of note: The 90 stem was stock on a 63 cm frame. Point being, the current idea of what qualifies as 'normal' or 'proper' fit is not necessarily so.

I'm of the sort that believes we commonly fit ourselves to too-small bikes, then complain about rough riding, poor handling, and a loss of power fron setting up with too much drop. But we save a couple of ounces, and that's critical to our success in the mountains.:rolleyes:

So, maybe the issue isn't that you are particularly short-torsoed, but that you are one of the few around bright enough to buy a properly-fitting bike.

· Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
You know, "back in the day", a 90mm stem was considered standard, and things like 120mm stems were freak stems, usually used by people who bought too small a frame for their body. Some bikes even came with 60mm stems.......

· fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
Lemonds w/long top tubes-

I could have sized down to the 53cm Tete but the saddle to bar drop would have been more than my back would handle. So I went with the 55cm and a 90mm stem.

· Registered
681 Posts
I have a tiny torso (183cm but 92cm inseam), but hours (1 year) in the saddle stretched me out from 100mm to 120mm stem (on a 61cm Cervelo) and in the process got rid of the back pain i'd get when going hard. I also didn't lose any power according to my powertap. But i still prefer a large frame with a short stem due to the taller headtube.

· Registered
339 Posts
Yes, an Edge 305 can mount on a 90 mm stem

123prs said:
Can a Garmin 305 Edge be mounted on top of a 90mm stem?
Yes, I have a Ritchey WCS 90 mm carbon stem, on a Litespeed Tuscany 61 cm (still have between 4 - 5" of seat to bar drop), and my Garmin 305 is mounted on it (sorry, no pic at the moment). Might depend on the actual stem, however, for it to fit -- never know if the bar mount (on the stem) will get in the way or not, as not all stems are created equal :)

Doug

· Registered
339 Posts
It fits my 90 mm stem

123prs said:
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure it fit. Right now, my Garmin sits on a 110mm stem. I think the Garmin itself is about 90mm long.
Just went out in garage and stuck the Garmin on my bike, with the 90 mm Ritchey WCS carbon stem. The little mountng bracket and rubber block under it results in the 305 mounting over the front of the stem, the front of the Edge is actually over the portion of the stem that mounts the handlebars, the front of the Edge being about even with the front of the stem. The back of the Edge is about even (though above) the front side of the carbon top cap of the stem. It could probably be slid back (the mounting bracket) on the stem a bit if you wanted to.

Can get a pic if you really want, probably tomorrow evening, too late now, going to bed in a few minutes.

Doug

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
jd3 said:
All my bikes have short stems.
Your Colnago...do you know the model and year? It appears to have round tubes so it couldn't be any of the Master varieties that I know of.

I ask because I have a red version that appears to be the same as yours, and I don't know what model it is, or the year.

Do you have any pictures of the lugs, including seat lug and bb lug? I'd love to ID my red Colnago.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.