Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
hey! I'm a fat 12 year old with fatter glasses!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
IMHO flipped up stems are aesthetically not as nice, but a positive rise stem can look ok. This is a 10cm Salsa stem on my Salsa La Raza. It has made this 120mm head tube work for me.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have no problem with the look of 17 degree stems. The only thing that looks odd to me is a very tall set of spacers or an unusually long stem. You will get a split on this between those who feel anything other than an aggressive racing posture is for out of shape sissys and those who go with what works for them. I bike 20 miles a day but I don't race. I have tried both and the 17 stem just works best for me. I am hardly out of shape and I refuse to ride what is "accepted" just because I am out of fashion. Follow your own path; most people who will look down on you for your stem are not worth the time of day.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
chas0039 said:
I have no problem with the look of 17 degree stems. The only thing that looks odd to me is a very tall set of spacers or an unusually long stem. You will get a split on this between those who feel anything other than an aggressive racing posture is for out of shape sissys and those who go with what works for them. I bike 20 miles a day but I don't race. I have tried both and the 17 stem just works best for me. I am hardly out of shape and I refuse to ride what is "accepted" just because I am out of fashion. Follow your own path; most people who will look down on you for your stem are not worth the time of day.
It's funny, because to me, a higher stack of spacers and a smaller-angled stem look better. For example, I'd rather have more spacers with a 6-8 degree stem than than fewer spacers and a 17 degree stem. Better yet, I'd rather have more spacers and a flipped down stem. But this is just personal aesthetics. Probably what I'd like best is a longer head tube, fewer spacers and a flipped down stem, if you know what I mean.

That said, there's nothing more important than comfort!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.