Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1349 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
My dad was a shop teacher. I was using buffers and jeweler's saws from a young age. In college I made ear rings and necklaces by cutting coins. It is not that difficult.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I probably could have saved some time by a light sanding after the grit blast. However, I was using a 25 micron alumina grit which is really fine. The surface was fairly smooth to start. It took a long time because I used a fine polishing compound so I did not distort the surface too much. It came out nice.

I did try to just buff off the anodizing, but it was really tough. Once I buffed through the layer the soft aluminum buffed easy and the surface would get uneven. I tried sanding, but the anodizing was tough and the part has a complicated shape that makes it hard to sand evenly. It worked much better by blasting off the outer layer then buffing the bare aluminum.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got the bike back from the powder coater this week and put it together over the weekend. Here it is partway assembled.
Assembly_1.jpg
The Shimano 105 brakes had the cutest little thrust bearings.
Assembly_2.jpg
The donor bike brakes were a bit scratched up so I polished them. The quick release covers did not come off well so I replaced them:
Brake.jpg
I think the KMC chain looks nice Cesare_3.jpg
I am very happy with the way my son's number came out. The font is the same as on his race cars and the size is perfect for the head tube.
Cesare_2.jpg
All in all I like the way it came out. I will change over to white bar tape once Santa comes with the white seat she ordered.
Cesare_1.jpg
I do want to take a couple of the typical artistic fixie pictures that I see on this forum. I live in a fairly rural setting so it will be difficult to park or graffiti wall as a background. I will have to think of something.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got the bike back from the powder coater this week and put it together over the weekend. Here it is partway assembled...
That came out very nicely! :)

Here's my Wabi Classic 58cm in Desert Turquois, this bike is a blast to ride! Only thing I want to do is swap out the bars for something that will give me a nice flat hand area where the brake lever hoods are.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
That turned out really nice. I've enjoyed watching the process. The many little details are impressive.
Well done! :thumbsup:

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Time to update my trusty ol' Soma Rush fixie photos. I've changed the saddle and tires, plus the chain ring from a 39 to a 42. The 15 T cog remains.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Built this winter out of an old Kent 10 speed I bought for $10 Named it "Shark Bite" before.jpg shark bite.jpg

·
UK Rider
2 Posts
Here's my pride and joy! Its not the best photo in the world I know, but I'd just popped into the garden to take it on a freezing cold day without any shoes on, so I wasn't going to hang about!:) bombtrack.jpg

·
Cycling 4 the fun of it.
326 Posts
$_3.JPG

Masi raw frame*
Superbe pro crank with 46t campy record ring*
American Classic bb*
Handbuilt Suzue Pro track flip flop hubs laced to Sun Ringle hoops with DT Swiss double butted spokes.*
Cane creek brake levers*
Campy brake calipers*
18t freewheel, 17t fixed cog*
Michelin Axial Comp 700x23c tires*
Put it on the scale comes in at 19.8lbs*

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
View attachment 304151

Masi raw frame*
Superbe pro crank with 46t campy record ring*
American Classic bb*
Handbuilt Suzue Pro track flip flop hubs laced to Sun Ringle hoops with DT Swiss double butted spokes.*
Cane creek brake levers*
Campy brake calipers*
18t freewheel, 17t fixed cog*
Michelin Axial Comp 700x23c tires*
Put it on the scale comes in at 19.8lbs*
Ooh, that's nice! :thumbsup:

·
Cycling 4 the fun of it.
326 Posts
I just want to say...

Modern geared bicycles are wonderful bikes but, some of these SS roadies are nothing short of cycling art.

·
Cycling 4 the fun of it.
326 Posts
I guess that be classified as modern art. ;) looks cool! What is it?

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
That is awesome looking! Not your average fixie, that's for sure. :cool:

52/15? And I thought my knees hurt running a 42/15!
If it were mine I'd run a Gates Carbon Drive since there are no seat stays to get in the way.

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Hey Cyclist69 ! It's a Zipp2001 which is 22 years old, and it's still great riding it. Here's a photo of it's twin brother that's in TT Bike set-up mode. Although his brother has had 4 different paint jobs over the years.

Hey Tig !
I wanted to run a belt drive system but nobody makes the belts that short. It's a 650c and it has track dropouts so I though I could find something but had no luck. I even offered to pay for a custom belt set-up but had no luck with that either. So I went with the gold chain, and like how it looks against the all black set-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
My Strong and two recent cobblings...

Attachments

·
Cycling 4 the fun of it.
326 Posts
Hey Cyclist69 ! It's a Zipp2001 which is 22 years old, and it's still great riding it. Here's a photo of it's twin brother that's in TT Bike set-up mode. Although his brother has had 4 different paint jobs over the years.
Hey Man, thanks for the 411. Much appreciated!

1301 - 1320 of 1349 Posts