Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TV stands!:p Just got a new 50" Panasonic Plasma and want to get a custom build stand. Looking for some ideas. Post up what you have.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
what's wrong with your wall?

www.mander.com (i think) has good stuff.

·
Bamboozled by love...
417 Posts
Mine

Not quite a 'stand', but I put this together to fit the room and the components. The current TV is a 37" CRT flatscreen, but I built the middle compartment to fit most 42" flat panels for when we eventually upgrade.

The unit's in three pieces to facilitate getting out of my shop door and up the basement steps into the family room. Total materials were ~$1500. The pocket door hardware is spendy, but worth it, IMO.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Very nice work.

joe

·
Bamboozled by love...
417 Posts
Thanks,

I'm terribly particular about what I wanted/needed in a unit -- pocket doors for wider viewing angles, built-in power distribution, surge protection and UPS power backup, pull-out shelves for the AV components for easier connections, built-in baffling and venting to form a little convection current through the unit to keep the heat down. The wife wanted "pine" and "honey colored" and "corner cabinet". NO way we were ever going to get everything by buying a piece from a store, so necessity was the mother of this invention.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Great craftsmanship, for sure. Though I'll take mine in Cherry :p

joe

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
gaping holes in the world

TV's, that's what they are.

I live in front of a monitor all shift, I don't need no stinkin' TV.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Nice...

mleptuck said:
I'm terribly particular about what I wanted/needed in a unit -- pocket doors for wider viewing angles, built-in power distribution, surge protection and UPS power backup, pull-out shelves for the AV components for easier connections, built-in baffling and venting to form a little convection current through the unit to keep the heat down. The wife wanted "pine" and "honey colored" and "corner cabinet". NO way we were ever going to get everything by buying a piece from a store, so necessity was the mother of this invention.
But loose those wires!!! Run them in the wall or something....reminds me of college.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
Here ya go.....mine is cherry, that's a 32 inch flat panel but there is room for a 40 I would think. All the shelves are adjustable and the stereo is underneath in two cabinets, other two doors are storage.
The room is not very deep, so I am backed up against the wall. The whole thing it 8 1/2 feet tall and 6 feet wide

edit: here is a second picture so you can see how it fits into room

·
Bamboozled by love...
417 Posts
Oh yea...

MCF said:
But loose those wires!!! Run them in the wall or something....reminds me of college.
They were run down into the basement and back up to the surround speakers about a day later -- believe me, the wife mentioned that about 10 seconds after I temporarily ran them!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Here ya go.....mine is cherry, that's a 32 inch flat panel but there is room for a 40 I would think. All the shelves are adjustable and the stereo is underneath in two cabinets, other two doors are storage.
The room is not very deep, so I am backed up against the wall. The whole thing it 8 1/2 feet tall and 6 feet wide
I see you have the all-important fire extinguisher for when the lacquer catches on fire :lol:

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
naw...there is 22,000 pounds of rock under and around the stove to soak up the heat. It get warm, not hot, at least not on the sides. That fire heats our whole house all winter.
I just started a fire as a matter of fact, they are calling for mid 20's tonight...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
naw...there is 22,000 pounds of rock under and around the stove to soak up the heat. It get warm, not hot, at least not on the sides. That fire heats our whole house all winter.
I just started a fire as a matter of fact, they are calling for mid 20's tonight...ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Holy cow - it's actually hitting the 70's here in Tacoma, WA - I'm LOVIN it. Just rode the Chehalis Western trail yesterday down in Olympia.

Hope it warms up there for you :)

·
Bamboozled by love...
417 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Thermal mass is a great thing, until you let the fire go out and have to start all over.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Thanks goodness!!!!

mleptuck said:
They were run down into the basement and back up to the surround speakers about a day later -- believe me, the wife mentioned that about 10 seconds after I temporarily ran them!
I am a freak about wires!!! It took me days to route speaker wires to all my channels and the house was even pre-wired. Now I am just finishing up how to get power from outlets to lamps without the chord.....:D

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
T-town

RoadBikeVirgin said:
Holy cow - it's actually hitting the 70's here in Tacoma, WA - I'm LOVIN it. Just rode the Chehalis Western trail yesterday down in Olympia.
QUOTE]

Was awesome yesterday. I was super warm coming into town, and the breeze off of Commencement bay felt just a hair chilly.

What neigborhood are you in?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
mleptuck said:
Thermal mass is a great thing, until you let the fire go out and have to start all over.
actually since it is entirely IN the house, it never cools past room temp...AND it takes a 4 days or so to cool that far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts