Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode a miserable 50 mile race in the rain two weekends ago on my rolf sestrierre clinchers and then hung them on a hook and pulled them out again for my race yesterday. I wiped down the brake surfaces and then pumped them up and raced. Got a slow leak flat halfway through the race but luckily got a wheel and still was top 10. Anyway, a friend later remarks that he pulls the tires off his bike after a nasty, wet ride and cleans everything out. He said, and he's probably right, that I had so much sand, water, etc. in the tires that the debris likely caused the flat.

So, do you guys typically pull the tires off and clean everything off after a wet race? With family time commitments, I typically do the bare minimum on maintenance. Of course, I hate to flat during the race so I'll do it if necessary.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Pull out the seatpost and tip the frame to drain any water. Leave it out to dry. Sometimes water will get trapped in the rims so tires and tubes come off and drain that too.

Chain: I take mine off ($60 Campy chains) immediately to clean and re-lube.

·
Registered
492 Posts
ridewt said:
I rode a miserable 50 mile race in the rain two weekends ago on my rolf sestrierre clinchers and then hung them on a hook and pulled them out again for my race yesterday. I wiped down the brake surfaces and then pumped them up and raced. Got a slow leak flat halfway through the race but luckily got a wheel and still was top 10. Anyway, a friend later remarks that he pulls the tires off his bike after a nasty, wet ride and cleans everything out. He said, and he's probably right, that I had so much sand, water, etc. in the tires that the debris likely caused the flat.

So, do you guys typically pull the tires off and clean everything off after a wet race? With family time commitments, I typically do the bare minimum on maintenance. Of course, I hate to flat during the race so I'll do it if necessary.
The flat was probably caused by a piece of glass. Water lubricates the tire rubber allowing glass to easily penetrate.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
LBK said:
If it's not my beater, I disassemble my bike for an overhaul.:D
A joke, right? I ride in the rain a lot, and just dry it off (with a fan) and lube. I don't mess with the tires. Overhauls happen only when absolutely necessary.

Maybe that means my bike is a beater....

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
ridewt said:

Wipe it down, relube, and roll on brother!

The only time I relube hubs/etc is when they've actually been under water. Then I'll pull the hubs and BB apart and regrease things.

If its a steel bike, I'd hold it up and see if water comes out the drain holes. If it does, ya might wanna shake it a bit in various attitudes to get most of the water out. If its really bad, spray some frame saving stuff in the tubes too.

HTH,

M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.