Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what other's experience (if any) is with a post-riding endorphin high.

I've been experiencing this pretty regularly after the completion of riding and it's a bit of a surprise because it's different from what I experience with say running or swimming. With these latter two I can get that "in the zone/I can go one forever" feeling but only while in the middle of the respective exercise and it never last beyond that peak moment.

Cycling appears to be unique for me in that whether or not I had any kind of peak experience while riding I almost always get that post-riding sense of just feeling really damn good and very happy. Sort of like my body is smiling, Now I ain't complaining about this but I'm curious how common this is and if it's one of the strong appeals of riding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's why I love to ride my bike. Combine the endorphine high with beautiful scenery, a group ride here and there with really good people, and living a fit lifestyle -- pretty hard to complain.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I used to get the runner's high back when I ran a lot. With cycling, it is different for me. I just get a very relaxed feeling of well-being after most rides, even if it wasn't a really hard effort.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
For me time disappears when I'm riding outside. Unless I'm strapped for time the minutes tick by without notice. I love it. When I got home and walk/stumble into my apartment I usually feel like I'm on cloud nine from all the endorphins. LOVE IT!

As much as I love swimming I've never experienced it. I can't zone out in the pool like I do on the bike. I feel great after a hard swim but it's just not the same.

·
Team Tom's
1,880 Posts
I experience it all the time, post ride. On group ride nights where we really hammer, for a few hours afterwards it's like I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I ride in west Los Angeles, usually after work. Whatever endorphin high I get is usually negated by the survival rage--managing to arrive home in one piece after tangling with traffic.

I really need to ride in the early am, I guess.

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
...for a few hours afterwards it's like I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew.
yuk. I'd give up riding if that was the effect it produced for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts