Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going to the gym for almost a year with a mix of heavy work outs with a trainer and solo work outs, however since I started riding it seems my legs aren't "recharging" as fast as I would like. I have started doing arm work outs at the gym with my trainer 2 days a week (arms only for the most part) and 2-3 bike rides a week (20-60 miles each ride depending on what I have time for on the weekdays and longer on the weekends).

What I really am looking for are suggestions from people who take things like whey protein ect after a bike ride to help the muscles recharge. Pro/Cons are helpful.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
you def. need to have some carbs and protein after those longer workouts, there are some formulas for how much based on your body weight, I will track them down, or someone else will chime in. My quick suggestion is to download the hammer nutrition "fueling guide" (free) and read the chapter on recovery, there is a lot of great info in here:

http://www.hammernutrition.com/down...s&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=guidetosuccess

Note: I am not saying you need any/all of Hammer's products...there is good **general** info in the recovery chaper regarding recovery.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
This might not be such an easy answer. If you're taking your existing workout routine and piling a lot more workload on top of it, then yeah, you're going to be more tired all the time, or at least until you adapt.

Calories / nutrition might not be the answer - you may need more sleep or more recovery time instead.

Are you losing body weight? Fat or muscle? If you're holding steady that indicates you're getting enough calories. Look at your diet - are you eating a real healthy diet? (Powders and bars and supplements do not count as a healthy diet).

Are you getting enough sleep? That's IMO the most common problem most of us have in the real world.

Are you getting at least one and maybe two really easy / off days per week?

Adapting to a training load requires a 'total view' of your life - it's not just about hard workouts + some overpriced sugar powders.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I usually mix up some whey shake thing after rides.

Pro: It taste good and is easy.
Con: It's expensive and makes me fart.

I never used to use whey when I was playing hockey so I do have a comparision to not using it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the stuff has no benefit over just plain good food and beverage because some scientist could surely prove me wrong but I can say it's irrelevant towards how one feels compared to rest, sleep, good diet and proper workouts.

If you're having problems recovering I seriously doubt adding some whey but changing nothing else will remedy them. By the same token someone who uses whey and recovers fine isn't going to suddenly have problems recovering if they stop using it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
After every (EVERY) ride: Chocolate milk (skim milk, chocolate whey powder and a bit of Trader Joe's organic - no HFCS - syrup)

Pros: Tastes great, lots of protein, very little fat, cheap
Cons: None damn it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Are you getting at least one and maybe two really easy / off days per week?

Adapting to a training load requires a 'total view' of your life - it's not just about hard workouts + some overpriced sugar powders.
+1, I think that's great advice.

Doesn't sound like a nutrition problem at all. Assuming the twice weekly gym workouts are hard days, that's about all the intensity most folks can handle anyway (and recover effectively), so when you staple the extra 6 or 8 hours of training on the bike to that, it's no suprise you get worn out. I'd try backing off either the gym stuff or the cycling - maybe depending on the season (you can always switch) and see how you feel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Post workout/ride = whey, oats or maltodextrin for carb source, and bcaa's or eaa's. Really simple actually. Don't over complicate it.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
After a hard ride, I have recently started stretching - hamstrings, calves, thighs. I neglected this for a few years, but not anymore. Then I usually do sets of crunches - 50 x 4 to keep the core strong and prevent back issues. Then put on some compression socks and take a BCAA supplement before bed.

Not sure if it's helping yet, as I am still pretty slow. :D

On the positive side, I am in a recovery week, and feeling spectacular.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts