Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

On june 23rd, I am getting surgery. I have scoliosis, and I am wondering if anyone else had a similar surgery done on their spine? Apparently I cannot bike for like 2-3 months, but what should I do after I can bike again? How should I start up again? I can probably bike after few weeks on my trainer, but sitting straight and not bending my back. Just to get active again.
But I am wondering about a long term recovery plan? Anyone got any tips?

Thank you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
What specifically are you haveing done? Are you getting rods put in and if so what section of the spine are you haveing done?
I am one year post op for a shattered L1 where I had to have a level 4 fusion. I was out for 6 months on most things including a bike. At three months I was allowed to swim and I am still doing that 3 times per week and is the best thing I have done. When I started back on the bike I flipped my stem up so I was a bit more upright than before and that helped a bunch. I just recently put in back and I do notice a bit more stretch in my back but it is getting better with every ride. I walked a ton starting 1 week post op and jsut tried to stay as active as possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually don't know the specifics. I have another appointment with my doctor tomorrow, so then I will know what is going to happen.

But thanks for your reply. Thanks for letting me know about putting the stem up.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Since I'm not a doctor I can't give you any kind of answer. My suggestion is to ask your doctor and take his advice.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
The common denominator in any surgery is healing.Healing takes energy. If you rob your body of energy by trying to train too soon, you will only delay healing and possibly set yourself up for complications.

I have undergone two surgeries while being a very regular cyclist. Both times I was surprised by the effect of time on recovery. Just when I thought I felt "normal" again, another week or two would go by and I felt even better.

Listen to your doctor's recommendations, listen to your physical therapist if you have one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.