Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to get feedback on:

Hydration choices? Was using Accelerade for 4 years, just bought First Endurance E3. Trying to get away from chalky texture without loosing effectiveness.

Post Training/racing recovery drinks? Been using Endurox for 4 years, but considering Ultragen. Is it worth paying 2.5 times more per serving? Other/better options?

Endurance specific multi vitamins? What's the skinny on First Endurance Multi V? Something better?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lowfat chocolate milk. 27grams of carbs and 8 grams of protein per serving 180 cals. Cheap and tastes good.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Try a search

Rodc said:

Hydration choices? Was using Accelerade for 4 years, just bought First Endurance E3. Trying to get away from chalky texture without loosing effectiveness.

Post Training/racing recovery drinks? Been using Endurox for 4 years, but considering Ultragen. Is it worth paying 2.5 times more per serving? Other/better options?

Endurance specific multi vitamins? What's the skinny on First Endurance Multi V? Something better?
There was JUST a thread on this exact topic last week. Do a search and you'll see 30 or so posts on this topic. BTW, a vitamin is a vitamin, and if you're exercising enough such that you need to worry about recovery drinks, then you will be eating enough food such that any reasonably balanced diet will supply all the vitamins you need. Plus, more and more studies are showing that food is a much better source of nutrition than supplements.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Hydration..

Rodc said:

Thanks in advance.
There is this stuff called water that works really well, and most people can get it relatively cheap. Unless you're doing high intensity stuff, in hot weather, I think you're probably better off with just plain old water.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Water isn't enough when cycling 6-8 hours a week or more. I thought as long as I was eating enough, it didn't matter that I wasn't eating right after my workouts. I wasn't hungry at that time so I figured, why should I eat and risk gaining weight? Well, after 2 1/2 weeks, when my work load moved up to 10 hours, I became "overtrained". These were base miles, not interval stuff. I had all the classic symptoms: depression, fatigue, upper respiratory sickness (I never get sick), etc. I stayed off the bike for over a week and the symptoms went away and, of course, I got over my cold.

Anyway, the best suggestion I read here was the low fat chocolate milk. I will have to try that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just today used up my can of Recoverite, a Hammer Gel/E-Caps product. Tastes like sh*t, but if I down a glass of that right after my ride and then do some stretching/massage, I feel pretty good the next day. It has something like a 4:1 protein ratio something blahblahblah... It's all natural and it gets the job done, so I use it.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
csv001 said:
Water isn't enough when cycling 6-8 hours a week or more. I thought as long as I was eating enough, it didn't matter that I wasn't eating right after my workouts. I wasn't hungry at that time so I figured, why should I eat and risk gaining weight? Well, after 2 1/2 weeks, when my work load moved up to 10 hours, I became "overtrained". These were base miles, not interval stuff. I had all the classic symptoms: depression, fatigue, upper respiratory sickness (I never get sick), etc. I stayed off the bike for over a week and the symptoms went away and, of course, I got over my cold.

Anyway, the best suggestion I read here was the low fat chocolate milk. I will have to try that.
I am definitely not an expert but with 6-8 hours (or even 10) a week of training I think you are complicating things, With about a hour to an hour and a half of exercise a day, why would you need anything more than a good diet and water for hydration? I have some powdered Gatorade that I like after a ride, but I wouldn't consider it a must. I think you might be mistaking your upper respiratory infection with "overtraining". Being sick can wipe you out, and it doesn't make training easy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm no expert either, but any cyclist should be aware of the "Glycogen Window". The purpose of recovery drinks is primarily not hydration, but to quickly replentish the depleted glycogen stores in muscles. The Glycogen WIndow exists for approx 30 mins post workout when blood is still rapidly flowing to your muscles (legs) and the muscles are able to easily absorb and store energy. Otherwise, it takes much longer and even days to replace that glycogen.

Fill up the tank so you can ride fast the next day.

Cyclists generally need a bottle of fluid an hour and should not be ending rides dehydrated.

handsomerob said:
I am definitely not an expert but with 6-8 hours (or even 10) a week of training I think you are complicating things, With about a hour to an hour and a half of exercise a day, why would you need anything more than a good diet and water for hydration? I have some powdered Gatorade that I like after a ride, but I wouldn't consider it a must. I think you might be mistaking your upper respiratory infection with "overtraining". Being sick can wipe you out, and it doesn't make training easy.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
HarlemCracka said:
I'm no expert either, but any cyclist should be aware of the "Glycogen Window". The purpose of recovery drinks is primarily not hydration, but to quickly replentish the depleted glycogen stores in muscles. The Glycogen WIndow exists for approx 30 mins post workout when blood is still rapidly flowing to your muscles (legs) and the muscles are able to easily absorb and store energy. Otherwise, it takes much longer and even days to replace that glycogen.

Fill up the tank so you can ride fast the next day.

Cyclists generally need a bottle of fluid an hour and should not be ending rides dehydrated.
I don't believe the glycogen window is influenced too much by blood flow, it is primarily due to the glucose transporters that have moved to the muscle cell surfaces in response to the exercise activity hanging around for awhile rather than immediately leaving once the activity is stopped.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Tweaking the theory

HarlemCracka said:
Otherwise, it takes much longer and even days to replace that glycogen.
I'm not totally up to date on the latest research on this, but the original study that justified the concept looked only at glycogen levels over a few hours. At least one follow up study showed that while glycogen levels were higher over the 4/8/12 hour time frame when subjects ate immediately after exercise, the numbers after 24 hours were the same. So those studies showed that the glycogen window was important if you wanted to exercise twice in the same day, but not so important for the next day's efforts.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Glycogen window may be important for multiple rides in same day, or early eve ride followed by early next AM work out. In some situations, like SAG stops at a century, scheduling takes care of refueling during the "window".
Other factors (e.g. one's gut) may come into play too. Learned that in my first MTB XC race. 90+ degree Midwest summer heat & humidity. After my 2nd flat (no 2nd tube), it took about all I had just to finish the last 4-5 mi on a flat rear tire. Horrible rolling resistance, but I was NOT going to take a DNF. For over an hour after the finish I could not keep anything down but a little water. Took me 4-5 days to fully recover my stamina.
Learned not to push so hard my gut won't accept fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts