Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
2621 - 2640 of 2667 Posts

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
And a question: Do you think it is worth upgrading to the SiSl2 crankset? I understand it is some 110g lighter (keeping the 52/36 configuration) than the Si crankset currently fitted to the bike.
Well, I'll let you decide if the cost is worth 110gr... A SISL2 + SpideRing SL isn't cheap, it's a stunning piece of engineering but it's expensive.

Personally, I'd say that upgrade alone will hardly be felt on the road. Upgrades that are done just for weight savings need to be added up to start making a noticable difference (except maybe tires/tubes/rims). 100gr here, 50gr there, 130gr over there... But then it takes money to make enough small weight savings to make a difference out on the road.

I wouldn't say it's worth it that much on it's own but that's just me. Also, the 3D forged SI you have is a bit stiffer and more bombproof than the SISL2... Not that the SISL2 isn't stiff or durable but you wouldn't be upgrading for anything else than weight. I like to upgrade parts and usually try to save weight in the process, but usually also to improve fit and/or performance... but I must confess, sometimes also to have something different or special, so I can understand the... the 'lust' of sweet high end parts!
:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I'll let you decide if the cost is worth 110gr... A SISL2 + SpideRing SL isn't cheap, it's a stunning piece of engineering but it's expensive.

Personally, I'd say that upgrade alone will hardly be felt on the road. Upgrades that are done just for weight savings need to be added up to start making a noticable difference (except maybe tires/tubes/rims). 100gr here, 50gr there, 130gr over there... But then it takes money to make enough small weight savings to make a difference out on the road.

I wouldn't say it's worth it that much on it's own but that's just me. Also, the 3D forged SI you have is a bit stiffer and more bombproof than the SISL2... Not that the SISL2 isn't stiff or durable but you wouldn't be upgrading for anything else than weight. I like to upgrade parts and usually try to save weight in the process, but usually also to improve fit and/or performance... but I must confess, sometimes also to have something different or special, so I can understand the... the 'lust' of sweet high end parts!
:D
Sure, 110g at $$$$ is in the realm of diminishing returns. I am surprised however to hear that the Si is stiffer than the SiSL2 crankset. Then I may as well keep what came stock with the bike - and invest/waste the money in a set of Dura-Ace hydraulic shifters and callipers to replace the 685/805 combo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2017 build complete

2017 Caad 12 105
Stripped of 105 and rebuilt with ultegra
Hylix Carbon Seatpost
3T Ergonova Team bars
3T 150mm -17 Stem
Fizik Arione white/green
Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels
Chinese 50mm Carbon Tubulars
7.4kgs with tubulars (56cm)

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
Here's my early Christmas present. The crappy picture don't show it well but the color is between Ferrari red and fluo orange, it's really luminous in real life. Stunning if you ask me.

6.1kg complete with pedals, cages and Garmin mount, not bad considering the wheels are not especially light (haven't checked the weight with my ridiculously light tubulars) and a Hollowgram SISL2 alone would probably put it under 6kg.

Now if this winter could end already!

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
14.1 pounds if you remove the water bottle and saddle bag. :lol:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle fork

2621 - 2640 of 2667 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.