Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be gettin my first tattoo (large haida sun on calf) pretty soon, and i wanted to see what everybody on here is rockin'.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
cmatcan said:
I will be gettin my first tattoo (large haida sun on calf) pretty soon, and i wanted to see what everybody on here is rockin'.
there's not enough room on the server.

if i posted my tattoos, the internets would esplode.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
firstrax said:
Living only 5 miles from the airport you can imagine how annoying having a tattoo is.
post of the week!

·
Non non normal
10,097 Posts
firstrax said:
Living only 5 miles from the airport you can imagine how annoying having a tattoo is.

Now that's funny.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
The scars on my body and face are unwelcome tatoos and the only ones I will ever wear even tho one of the top tatoo artists in this area is a personal friend and has offered the first one free for homeboys...I like the old school stuff, parachutes on the forearm like one of my buds; better make sure u finish jump school first, or the panther clawing the arm, maybe the snake coiled around the dagger or just plain ole Born to Raise Hell.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
stevee said:
The scars on my body and face are unwelcome tatoos and the only ones I will ever wear even tho one of the top tatoo artists in this area is a personal friend and has offered the first one free for homeboys...I like the old school stuff, parachutes on the forearm like one of my buds; better make sure u finish jump school first, or the panther clawing the arm, maybe the snake coiled around the dagger or just plain ole Born to Raise Hell.
i have "post a pic" on my ass.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Sounds like a good one and I believe u. Not gonna bs ya about the m rollover to a w on mine because it ain't there. On opposite cheeks for clarification to those not familair with the cliche.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, what a lame response in general! no offense to the individual posters, but collectively you accomplished a wordy, quote-giving thread with no pics of tattoos (original purpose of the thread). you know, i had heard you non-cycling discussions people were lolly-gaggers!!! :p

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
you better watch out

as numerous posters here are inked to the hilt. many are stem to stern. there may be a reason they ain't sharin' and funny, you didn't start the post with pix of your own.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
atpjunkie said:
as numerous posters here are inked to the hilt. many are stem to stern. there may be a reason they ain't sharin' and funny, you didn't start the post with pix of your own.
did you even READ my original post?? I stated that I will be getting one soon and was curious what ones others have. if i had any now i would post them.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
cmatcan said:
wow, what a lame response in general! no offense to the individual posters, but collectively you accomplished a wordy, quote-giving thread with no pics of tattoos (original purpose of the thread). you know, i had heard you non-cycling discussions people were lolly-gaggers!!! :p
I believe I posted a pic of my tattoo!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
sorry, missed that part.

post a shot of the drawing. I have a kwakiutl sun on my shoulder, needs new red.
have Olmec or Toltec sun and wave around left arm. have hunab ku prepped and ready for placement and Haida split salmon for my back (waiting on loose funds)

all my designs I did myself. personal mod's on traditional icons.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
atpjunkie said:
post a shot of the drawing. I have a kwakiutl sun on my shoulder, needs new red.
have Olmec or Toltec sun and wave around left arm. have hunab ku prepped and ready for placement and Haida split salmon for my back (waiting on loose funds)

all my designs I did myself. personal mod's on traditional icons.
sounds like cool stuff, looking forward to seeing it.

i have a 10x8"ish anaszi earth monster in the center of my upper back. all line work, all black. it was about a 3-hour piece and he had me laying face down on an inverted table. that SUCKED. :)

i leaked ink on the hotel sheets--this was in a very very nice suite at the paris hotel in las vegas. the housekeepers were mostly ESL people from south of the border. they weren't happy about that particular design "apperaing" daily on clean sheets. superstitious and like that. ;)

i got somewhere between 12 and 14 hours of ink in vegas.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,247 Posts
cmatcan said:
wow, what a lame response in general!
Well, some might consider it lame not to use the search function to see if such a thing had been done, especially with a word like "tattoo" or "ink" that would probably result some good hits. Just sayin.

I had a little ink done a few days ago, but it is peeling now. Give me a few days and check back and I will post a pic or three for you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
actually, i did search first. i didn't really find much- there were some threads about tattoos but mostly like people asking about experiences and stuff. not really what i was lookin for. It's cool hearin haiku's stories about gettin ink though. funny stuff about the hotel. ATPjunkie- thats cool that you modified the designs yourself, i definitely intend to do the same with mine. I want the number 12 worked in there somehow (kinda my lucky number- born on 12/12, size 12 feet, it goes on forever. weird) and was thinking of working some grey in there with either black or navy as the main. i found this pic that is very similar, but i would change the eyes to something a bit more intense, have a flatter mouth instead of that goldfish-like one, and possibly incorporate the number 12 as the number of loops around the actual sun- i'll have to think about that though becvause inless i get a huge one done, that would be pretty jumbled-together and would smudge in time. any suggestions about incorporating '12' in there somehow?? heres the pic of the similar design i would modify:

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I'm traditional as far as color palette

Red and Black with maybe a touch of a blue/gree. on mine all red and black. Mouth is like Ts'onoqua and is fairly common in design. there are tons of source books you can get also. design shown is similar to mine

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
as far as the mouth, i would just want the middle more colored in, the shape is fine. the color-scheme in the traditional red/black is awesome, but i thought it might be too bright since it'll be on my calf, which is a pretty visible area. then again, I'm white with a bit of a tan, so black might stand out more than red. i'll have to think about that one a bit. atp- you seem pretty knowledgable about this design, one question for ya- how important is authenticity with this design? like do the designs have very strict guidelines and meanings like maori tattoos or are they a little more flexible? i want to stay true to tradition but still modify it a bit if possible to suit me. i like this design, and it opens up all kinds of possibilities for modification as far as the shapes between the 8 main outter arches

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
I confess to being lame and shouldn't have thrown my drivel in...I'm sorry!

·
gazing from the shadows
27,247 Posts
I've seen them with 6 instead of 8 elements, and if you went that way you could add another 6 curlycue thingies between the outer black rectangular things. But I don't like the 6 rayed ones nearly as much as the 8 in terms of looks, and I also think that if you are going to get something with cultural meaning you should stick pretty close to the original.

Another way to get 12 in would be to wrap the entire image in text or a pattern. This page http://www.tattoo.dk/colins/haida/dk-haida-tatoveringer.htm shows one in what appears to be elvish for some reason. I actually like the way it looks, with the script sweeping in to touch the main figure here and there. Perhaps some script with the word for 12 in various languages would do? Or a pattern of 12 elements? Just an idea, but to fit it in where you want it you might need the main element smaller, which you might not want to do.

Get some ideas, and then talk to some artists. They ususally have some good ideas on how to alter designs and/or combine elements into them. FWIW, I think the design is very strong and works well in ink.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts