Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Does it bother you when people post a question in the incorrect sub forum?

• Yes, it makes my blood boil and I refuse to help an OP who is so utterly clueless!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fiind it mildly annoying, but will help the OP while gentle reminding them to use correct section.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Find it mildly annoying, but not to the point where I would even mention it to the OP.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I really don't care, it's all good. I get a big kick out of it all and enjoy the banter.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I not only don't care, but am sick and tired of people bickering about this. Lighten up, Francis!

Votes: 18 56.3%
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like to take a survey here. When people post their questions in the wrong forum, do you find this behavior annoying?

Please explain why or why not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'm going to chime in here... but with a challenge: Pretend you're in the room with the people you're talking to. This thread's going to go off the rails in about two more posts otherwise.

My answer: Yeah, somewhat. I do wish guys would post in the right sub-forum - it would make for a more useful forum, overall. Sometimes, there's a gray area on the topic, but when the thread starts "Ultegra 6800 is..." in the General forum... okay, yeah - that's just lazy.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I'm going to chime in here... but with a challenge: Pretend you're in the room with the people you're talking to. This thread's going to go off the rails in about two more posts otherwise.

My answer: Yeah, somewhat. I do wish guys would post in the right sub-forum - it would make for a more useful forum, overall. Sometimes, there's a gray area on the topic, but when the thread starts "Ultegra 6800 is..." in the General forum... okay, yeah - that's just lazy.
I feel the same as Zasker. I'd prefer folks post in the correct forum, but if they don't its not the end of the world

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thread is in the wrong forum. It's not a general cycling discussion. Should be posted in SiteFeedback/Issues.
Oh, and there's no poll attached for the survey.
:)
Wrongo! SiteFeedback/Issues are for reporting to moderators.

This is a survey, not a poll. :D

·
Registered
752 Posts
Let me ask this, would you go into your doctor’s office and start talking about what was wrong with your computer? Would you go to your office’s IT dept and talk about the pain you’re feeling in your knee?

There are right and not so right places for various conversations, so I can see where the contention comes in but personally feel that it can get overblown at times. This is a friendly “meeting” place of like-minded folk so not sure that it has to be so strict, but understand the desire for questions being raised in a more appropriate sub-forum.

EEC

Reactions: Crab Balls

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Hi all,

I would like to take a survey here. When people post their questions in the wrong forum, do you find this behavior annoying?

Please explain why or why not.

Thanks!
Moderator... please move this to the lounge, beginners forum and PO...

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wrongo. Says it right there on the forums list.

SiteFeedback/Issues
Give feedback, ask questions, make suggestions, etc. Having problems registering?? Check here.
OK, you are correct. Now I just have to admit that I put it in the General Forum cuz........cuz........well, more people will see it that way. :D

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I just scan thread titles under NEW POSTS.

if a topic looks interesting, I'll open it...don't really care what forum it's in.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Is my answer "yes" if I'm annoyed that this post is in the General Cycling Questions, when it has nothing to do with general cycling?

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I think it's better to post in a more applicable subforum than General if one exists. I also think it's fair to tell a poster as much. In many cases they will get a better answer if they post in the right place. I also think mods could do a better job of moving posts.

And I definitely use "New Posts" link along with checking my Subscriptions so as not to "miss" good threads that aren't in General.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It doesn't matter to me.

If there was so much activity that threads were getting buried before I saw them, I might feel differently.

As I posted in another thread, I use the "Subscribed" threads and "New Posts" function and just scan for interesting topics.

Everything else gets ignored " Marked as Read".

Which Subforum a post is in has exactly zero bearing on whether I see it or respond to it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm with Zaskar on all points.

It annoys me a little. It would annoy me more if it were to happen often. I'm for reminding people to post in the right place, because cutting slack is likely to lead to more and more threads in General that really belong someplace else. I'm going to say this thread belongs here because this is where the problem usually occurs.

That said, I hope everyone will remember how easy it is for a blunt reponse to come across as a flame. Both writers and readers need to keep this in mind.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

if a topic looks interesting, I'll open it...don't really care what forum it's in.
I think I am going to start doing this too.

only input I have to the OP is: there are too many subforums given the low numbers of site users.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts

That's pretty much the way I navigate the site as well. I do try to post in the proper subforum, but I don't pay attention to the forum as a reader. I scan New Posts like headlines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
No.

A General Cycling Forum is, by virtue of its very name, about cycling. In general. Which covers any and all bases related to riding a bike (on the road, per this website).

We have limited new threads. None of these new threads push older, relevant threads off the page.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Let me ask this, would you go into your doctor’s office and start talking about what was wrong with your computer? Would you go to your office’s IT dept and talk about the pain you’re feeling in your knee?

EEC
No, but you would go into your dr. to talk about pain in your foot. Or your throat. Or your ear. Maybe you have a temperature. Maybe you feel tired.

Maybe you just want to stop in for a check up.

Sure, you can go to a podiatrist. Or an ENT. Or an anti-aging clinic. But maybe you're not sure such a specialized dr. is necessary.

Plus, there might be a limited amount of Drs. in those other places that could help you. Also probably less of a community than you'd find in your normal health practitioner. And the magazines are probably better there, too.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts