Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there - I have a job interview lined up in Boise Idaho and would love to hear from folks who live there today (or used to live there) on what they like and disliked about living there. How is the riding out there? Does the weather have extremes? (I hear it can get very hot there and very cold). People cool? School system for kids decent? If we moved I would be leaving the Sacramento area in California. I've never been to Boise but will travel in a couple of weeks for the interview so will get a chance to see the place - but would love to hear first hand experiences from others....

Much thanks - Task

·
Registered
43 Posts
I really like Boise. Not too big but big enough. Make sure to grab some dinner downtown. Lots of good places to eat. Riding is great, but I guess it kinda depends on what you are looking for. I like climbing and there's great hills for that around here. There's a good system of moutain bike trails as well. Not too familiar with the schools systems so I can't comment on that. Temps are more towards the extremes. Snow doesn't normally hang around in the valley for more than a few days in the winter. Can get very hot, 100 plus, in the summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lived in Boise for 11 years now . . .

Moved here for the incredible mountain biking - one of the best trail systems in the country allows you to ride from downtown on your lunch hour. Road cycling is not bad, but as the previous poster said, lots of hills - which is great if you like 'em. Housing prices are going through the roof right now - look in the north and east ends of town if you are a cyclist - gives you access to a lot of riding, both mountain and road, from your front door.

School systems - we have two kids in the schools, one in elementary, one in Jr. High. We are quite pleased with their progress, but believe it has a lot more to do with the parents than the schools. Nonetheless, the school system in the north and east ends is probably the best in the state.

The other reasons we moved here is the ski area 17 miles out of town, and the incredible access to wilderness and mountains. Snow is a bit scarce in the valley in the winter - good for cyclists, bad for skiers, but there is plenty of it in the mountains most years. Can get and stay REALLY hot in the summer - 100F+ a lot of days. However, you get used and you just take lots of water and ride anyway. All in all, a great place to live and raise kids.

Rent a bike for a day when you come and tool around the neighborhoods, you will like what you see. Greenbelt along the river is great for commuters.

Good luck, and hope you like it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm pretty much a lifetime Idahoan...parents moved up here from Phoenix when I was a lil' **** on a tricycle. I currently work in downtown Boise, but live in Caldwell :rolleyes:.

I've only driven through Sacramento on my way to either Reno or the Bay Area.

Even though it can get hot in the summer, at least it's a dry heat. Plus we don't have that layer of smog that I have seen in Sacramento before. Besides if it's too warm down here in the valley....make your escape into the mountains. McCall and Ketchum/Sun Valley are the top two weekened destinations for many folks down here. Great hiking, biking, fishing, backpacking, boating, etc. can be found in those areas. Basically if you are a four season outdoor sports kind of guy...you are gonna like it here.

As far as housing prices....using numbers from the Idaho Association of Realtors from a report I got earlier today...from 2003 to 2004, the average selling price of a home jumped 11%+ to nearly $194,000...I don't have 2005 figures available. Of course you can get homes cheaper than that.

Most of the growth in the valley keeps going west of here....Eagle, Meridian, SW/W Boise, Canyon County (where I live). The commute isn't *too bad*, but I wish I woulda never left Parkcenter.

This area is still very conservative. Depending on how you define "culture", it's either non-existant or very scarce.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.