Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Undiscovered Cyclist
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land surveyor here in talks with an engineering firm in Jackson. Am now on the East Coast. Anybody care to weigh in on riding on the west side of the Tetons in ID? Seems real estate is somewhat, using the term loosley, affordable for working stiffs. Sounds like everyone commutes into Jackson to work with real estate there out of sight. What about living south of Jackson and the cycling near those smaller communites?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
brurider said:
Land surveyor here in talks with an engineering firm in Jackson. Am now on the East Coast. Anybody care to weigh in on riding on the west side of the Tetons in ID? Seems real estate is somewhat, using the term loosley, affordable for working stiffs. Sounds like everyone commutes into Jackson to work with real estate there out of sight. What about living south of Jackson and the cycling near those smaller communites?
I know a little about it. I live in the SE corner of Wyoming, in Cheyenne, and my daughter works in Jackson. I've never had my bike up there, but I have scouted it aplenty and asked around.

Jackson in the most expensive place to live in Wyoming. Average home price is a million $ +. That doesn't mean you can move to Wilson and its cheaper. When we say Jackson, we mean the the town of Jackson itself, as well as everything in the Valley within about 20 miles. They have a significant problem in that the service workers cannot afford to live there, so there are many instances of people sharing rooms and apartments. My daughter shares a 600 sf apt with her boyfriend (grumble, grumble) and spends $1,100 for rent.

Living in Idaho is cheaper, but not by much. And then you have to take into account the fact that you have to travel over Teton Pass to get to work. While lots of people do this, it is often a hair-raising, white-knuckle trip in the winter. I can't tell you the number of times that I listen to Wyoming Public Radio between October and April and hear the words "Teton Pass is currently closed."

The traffic in the summer is a real PITA. Lots and lots and lots and lots of tourists. Traffic jams at the Square are very, very common.

That's some of the negative stuff.

On the plus side, there is only one Teton range in the world, and it is absolutely fabulous. If you are an outdoor person, Jackson is a great place to be. Teton pass, for all its winter time problems and challenges, is a popular destination for road cyclists. It's steep and long and is a real challenge. Riding in the Valley is really great as well, aside from the traffic. You can always ride into the Park where the scenery is incredible. I'm not one to use superlatives in my descriptions, but I really don't know the appropriate words to describe the beauty of the place.

There is a lot a mountain biking available as well. You do have to be concerned about bears, though. They are real, they are big, and they are above us on the food chain.

If you love great food, and have the means to pay for it, Jackson is home to some of the best restaurants anywhere. The Granary at the Spring Creek Ranch was the setting for an anniversary dinner for my wife and me and was simply outstanding.

In the summer, Jackson is all those adjectives and then some. In the early fall, specifically after Labor Day and until the first snow, it is all those adjectives and then some without the traffic. Fall in Wyoming is glorious. We don't have the multiple colors of the trees on the East Coast, but the aspens turn a wonderful gold, the temperatures are moderate, and the sun shines a lot.

Jackson is one of my favorite places in the world. If you can get the housing situation squared away, its a great place to live. One other thing to consider is this - isolation. Jackson is, for all its trappings, a small town a long way from anywhere else. Idaho Falls, ID is about 90 miles (and Teton Pass) away, and is home to the closest Target store. If you want a big city (by our standards) Salt Lake City is just under 300 miles. Denver is just over 500 miles. Wyoming is not just rural. Large parts of it are simply uninhabited. Wyoming makes Montana look crowded. It may not seem like much, but to those who have moved here seeking escape from the crowds have certainly found it. Not everyone likes it, though. Its different here. Really.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
brurider said:
Father in law has a place at the foot of the pass into Idaho in Wilson, WY. Cost of living is very high. Most people can't afford housing in Jackson/Wilson proper anymore so they live in places like Driggs, ID and commute over the pass each day. Whenever I go there I just ride offroad (great trails to ride by the way), though there is a good system of bike paths in the area now that you can take to Teton Village and such. Weather is more extreme there that Boulder, CO where I live, but I'd live there in a second--wife hates snow though so it's be hard to convince her to move. This year we were up to Grand Teton park before the roads opened to the public and we took a nice bike trip to Jenny Lake and back. No cars on the road made it really nice.

·
Undiscovered Cyclist
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bailed out

FWIW, I decided to get out of the running for the position. Roots a bit too deep here with grandchildren and job prospects are looking brighter. Thanks again for the wealth of information on WY. It was awfully tempting though. That part of the country is still on the "must see" list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.