Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lounge Lurker
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a frame powdercoated and I'm really jonesing to get it built up this weekend. But as I started thinking about pressing the headset, putting the bearing race on the fork and installing the bottom bracket, I wondered do these need to be faced again?

They were faced once at the time the bike was made, but do they need to be done again to remove excess paint or can I get away without it?

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
austex said:
You should face to get a square, even surface to mount to. Every coating job I have seen has thickness irregularities at edges...
Yup. Get them faced. Did the powdercoater mask off the top, bottom and inside of the head tube? If not, make sure to tell them to mask off these areas next time.

- FBB

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Overcranked23 said:
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "faced"?
It's a bit of a misnomer, or at least a "partial-nomer." A good LBS will have a tool used to remove paint and a bit of material from the top and bottom of the head tube. That is, in fact, what facing means on a piece of metal. BUT the tool will also ream out the inside of the head tube to a specific inside diameter. If the tube had the right inside diameter in the first place, the tool should remove only paint.

Yours,

FBB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.