Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent last week in/around Snowmass in CO. We enjoyed constant snowfall and a supply of fresh powder :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I even had to rent all-mountain skis, since my east coast skis are a little skittish in epic conditions.

John got four days in; I had a migraine the first day (traveling seems to be one of the triggers for some reason) but got three days in a row of awesomeness. :cool:

Also got to be tourists in Aspen, though we couldn't be bothered to stand around watching the X-Games in person. Got a glimpse of some of the action from the bus though.

Anyway. It hurts not to live out there. John's new job includes a five-year project, and I suspect he might be thinking of moving out that way once it's up. We think about it all the time, but for his line of work, the money's here in the city. Though Denver might be the way to go.....

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
You got my hopes up that you were talking about Columbian marching powder instead of plain old snow. Hookers and blow and all that. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I was at Sunapee, NH on Friday with reconstituted ice ("frozen granular"), and Shawnee Peak, ME yesterday with partially thawed reconstituted ice. I need a powder fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doc, at least you're skiing!

My husband is trying to get me up to his expert level so we can enjoy more challenging slopes together, but he's been at it for decades, and I only started about 8 years ago, with only a handful of outings per year.

He's frustrated that he can't teach me how to cross the threshold from intermediate to expert, but I think its just a matter of practice in different conditions. Once I get more comfortable, I can feel more confident on the diamonds.

But I'd be happy just to ski powder through the trees comfortably!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
He's frustrated that he can't teach me how to cross the threshold from intermediate to expert
I haven't skied in decades. One thing I do remember back in the day was watching how ineffective people were teaching other people to ski. Unless your husband is a former instructor, take some lessons.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't skied in decades. One thing I do remember back in the day was watching how ineffective people were teaching other people to ski. Unless your husband is a former instructor, take some lessons.
Indeed he was! He seems to take my lack of excellent form personally :rolleyes:

He says he instructed people at the intermediate level, and admits that he doesn't know how to instruct for the next level up.

Guess I should take official lessons, but what else is there to learn besides lean forward, face down the mountain, keep skis together and edge?? I suspect the rest is practice and repetition.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Sounds like a great time!

BTW, travel does trigger migraines for many, but so does altitude. So might be one or the other or both in this case, for future reference.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a great time!

BTW, travel does trigger migraines for many, but so does altitude. So might be one or the other or both in this case, for future reference.
Thanks, yeah could also be altitude, but also happens when we go down south to visit the in-laws........another potential trigger come to think of it....... :p

I keep Rx meds in my purse now. What's difficult is that while in CO, I had in my hands a potential solution, a CBD-based topical cream. Perfect! But it can't be brought across state lines. :mad2: So I have to stick with barbituates instead of something natural.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Spouses can't teach each other to ski. I thought that was common knowledge. Just like "never by your girlfriend a mountain bike".

I'm pretty jealous of your trip. Seems snow has been falling around the west except for around my stomping grounds.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha, I told him this when we started dating, but since he used to be an instructor, figured it was a different situation. And he has been patient all this time, but has reached his limits apparently!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
That's not entirely true. My bride has taught me to do a number of things, a couple of them are actually useful.

I on the other hand, have taught her nothing.
This you speak is truth.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Spouses can't teach spouses to do ANYTHING and probably shouldn't even try.
When my wife bought a new ('84 Rabbit) GTI she had never shifted a manual transmission.
I think I spared us both a lot of frustration when I got my sister to teach her to drive it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I taught my wife to drive a stick. Which is one reason I won't try to teach her to ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts