Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Specialized Cr-Mo Foco steel frame from E-bay. I want to paint it all black. I can have it powdercoated for 200 bucks or painted for less (not sure of the price). Any feedback out there? I assume if I had it painted that they would just paint right over the current paint rather than removing it? Has anyone had a bike painted at an auto body shop? Did they do a good job. How much did it cost? Thanks a bunch!

Mike

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
mprevost said:
Just picked up a Specialized Cr-Mo Foco steel frame from E-bay. I want to paint it all black. I can have it powdercoated for 200 bucks or painted for less (not sure of the price). Any feedback out there? I assume if I had it painted that they would just paint right over the current paint rather than removing it? Has anyone had a bike painted at an auto body shop? Did they do a good job. How much did it cost? Thanks a bunch!
Powdercoating is more durable but if applied thickly, can blend over lugs and other smaller details. $200 sounds a bit steep. Most places are $100-150 max.

If you have a regular frame painter do the frame, they will media blast off the old paint. It's far less labor time than sanding the old paint and gives a better adhesion to the metal.

Most body shops have the materials and equipment to spray a frame but it's not as easy as many think that haven't done it before. The "congested" areas like the seat tube/top tube/seat stay area or the bb area are easy to get too much paint on and have runs. Round shapes are much more difficult to spray than big panels like a car.

There are multiple frame painters on the web. For $250 or so, you can get a quality single color job and probably some new decals to boot.

Paint looks better but costs more. Powder coat is more durable and cheaper but doesn't look quite as nice. Your choice.

You may also want to look into Spectrum in Colorado for some first class powdercoating.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I agree that powder coating is more durable, but IMO/IME, paint looks better.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
PC and Decals etc

I have had 2 frames PCed. I honestly saw little to no difference between paint vs PC from a visual standpoint. You can add decals over PC and then have it clear coated or DIY. PC starts to get expensive when you want a special color and the PCer needs to order a small quanity of powder. Black being a fairly standard color should be in abundance at the shop $150 I think would be a fair price. Just have them call you before they do a run of product or job when black is being sprayed, they may cut you a break.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Powder Coat

Turns out it is only 100 bucks. I have seen a couple of frames this guy did and they look good. I'm gonna go for it. I'm going to re-brand the bike. I am ordering the stickers today. It is going to be a "Prevost" (my last name). I will put a big "P" on the head tube.:D

·
Registered
813 Posts
yeah thats a good price, I had Sycip PC a frame for me last year and it came out at like $125 frame and fork.

post some pics when youre done with it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got the frame back..

from powdercoating. Looks good. I am glad that I went with black. I can't wait for my stickers to come in so I can put it all together. I will post pics when done. Even with powdercoating, I have less than 200.00 bucks invested. Not bad for a Columbus Foco steel frame with a brand new paint job! This will be my every day ride, commuter, and race bike. At that price, I am not too worried about crashing it. There are still a few good deals left on e-bay if you are patient.

Mike
P.S. Panhandle Powdercoating in FL did a great job. They are doing alot of bikes lately. 100 bucks for powdercoating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts