Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering what people think about Power Cranks. Has anyone tried them? The company makes some bold claims. For those who've tried them, please share your experience, and any suggestions you have on how to most effectively use them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Powercranks

I had them for about 6 months and eventually sold them. I felt like they were going to have a bigger impact on my running than cycling. I did improve a bit on the bike but some of that had to do with Powercranks forcing you initially to push a big gear all the time. EVERY workout is hard with powercranks. There are NO easy rides. I don't mind hard workouts but I was dreading getting on the bike. For the money, I would rather get a Powertap. I think there is much more to be gained there than with powercranks.

Mike

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Try a search

trihiker said:
Hi, just wondering what people think about Power Cranks. Has anyone tried them? The company makes some bold claims. For those who've tried them, please share your experience, and any suggestions you have on how to most effectively use them.
Power cranks have been discussed at length on this site, so you might try a search. There are some vehement supporters, and there are those of us who have seen all sorts of "magic cranks" and "magic chainrings" come and go for decades, none of which ever last in the market place. It is my opinion/conclusion that these things are typically based on theories which are not supportable and have not demonstrated anything more than the ability to generate anecdotal endorsements (as opposed to documented performance improvements attributable to the device). Others will disagree strongly with this assessment.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Get a set on ebay!

I used a set for a little while. I think they helped my pedal stroke big time! Picture doing one legged drills the whole ride except with both legs, and being safely clipped in, the whole ride, OUCH! They really work you hard, maybe too hard. I sold them after a 2 years on ebay for more that what I paid for them. I got paid to suffer on those things! They do build up muscles that you normal don't use.That cant be bad. I know I am still using those muscles now because when I went back to the power cranks after normal cranks it was not as painful as when I first started using them.
I do not race anymore I have a kid and another on the way, there is no need for me to suffer like that when I am just riding now for fun and to stay in shape. I also think it is more of a tool for runners (or triatheles) as the really work your hip flexers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts