Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built myself a powertap rear wheel and now I'm finding out that while my bike computer reads power, it only gives instantaneous power...

I have a Garmin Fenix 2 watch and I think I will be able to get power averaged over time and at least average lap power. But my watch is in an RMA process that makes a VA hospital seem fast.

My question is are there any iOS apps that will give me average power? Unless I am missing something the powertap mobile app only gives instantaneous power. It also needs to work with an ANT+ key.

Thanks,
Travis

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The Garmin Edge 500 (and the 510 and 520) etc all provide what you are looking for.

Also, why the interest in avg power?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking for a 3 and 10 second average for a more stable reading. One that can actually be helpful for pacing and training. I am looking for an iOS app to get me through until my fenix 2 comes back from RMA. I'm not buying a new device.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
This is where I feel the Edge units are superior to the watches. On my Garmin I have these settings that are related to power (not all on the same screen):
3 second power
10 second power
Ride NP
Current lap NP
Last lap power
Last lap NP

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deviousalex,

That's what I am looking for, but in an iOS app. I believe I can get that info from my watch but my wife's old iPhone 4 has a way bigger screen. So even when my watch comes back from RMA it would be nice to see that info on the phone. My watch broke while I was still building my wheel so I never got to test it out for power meter use.

I had the wahoo app in the past, never used it with a power meter. I tried using it on the old phone, but it would not run. I may tried to reload it.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm not sure how customizable the available apps out there are, but I doubt they have screens as customizable as an Edge. Also, you need the ANT+ dongle unless you have the Bluetooth powercap for the PowerTap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a dongle. I also re-read DCRainmaker's review of the Fenix 2 (the one waiting in line at the VA hospital, I mean Garmin RMA...) he reported a lot of customizable power readings, more than I was familiar with. I'm not buying a new device since I'm getting mine back hopefully sometime before I die. But a good, customizable app would be nice. It has me wondering what my repressed geek side could do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts