Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
clueless oaf
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be picking up a new gravel racing bike (Specialized Diverge Expert is the plan, unless Salsa's new Warbird knocks me flat)

anyway, I am almost definitely going to end up going 1x with a 44t up front, and I'm looking to get a good powermeter. However, I'm not finding any 1x powermeters that are above 38t (there is an XX1 type)

Was wondering if anybody had any good advice in this respect?

·
clueless oaf
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheel based power meter.
Pedal based power meter.
are they as effective/accurate? Hesitant to do a pedal based power meter because I've only seen them in pure road pedal varieties, and i'll be going with SPD type MTB/CX type pedals and cleats

·
Registered
357 Posts
Does Stages not have a left sided crank-arm that fits your setup? They do have SRAM GXP MTB arms.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow, you use a 1x for gravel racing? Your gravel must be way different from mine. I use a 50/34 and 11/34 and need every one of those gears.

You can use a 4iii precision with any shimano crank, then run a narrow wide 44T chainring-that'd be sufficient.

·
clueless oaf
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wow, you use a 1x for gravel racing? Your gravel must be way different from mine. I use a 50/34 and 11/34 and need every one of those gears.
44t with a 10-42t isn't all that different at the high or low end than yours, when you think about it, depending upon your tire size (I'm on 38c tires).

44t-10t = 120.91 gear inches (125.04 for 50-11)
44t-42t = 28.85 gear inches (27.48 for 34-34)

On a 38c tire it's like having a 48-34t front with an 11-33t cassette. Top end isn't quite as high, but I've never found it an issue off-road in the least (Although on pavement, it's easier to spin out going downhill, obviously). At a 90 rpm cadence, that'll put me well over 32 mph on gravel, which is plenty fast for me.

A compact with an 11-32t chainring provides a top (50-11) end of 120.58 gear inches on a 25c tire, almost identical to what I have with the 44t and the 10-42t combo.

If it came with a 50-34t and an 11-34t cassette, I'd be perfectly happy with the added weight until it got muddy, as I like not having to worry about a front derailleur when it's nasty.

Regardless, it's not a show stopper by any stretch, and I"ll still get just as muddy and filthy :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
44t with a 10-42t isn't all that different at the high or low end than yours, when you think about it, depending upon your tire size (I'm on 38c tires).

44t-10t = 120.91 gear inches (125.04 for 50-11)
44t-42t = 28.85 gear inches (27.48 for 34-34)

On a 38c tire it's like having a 48-34t front with an 11-33t cassette. Top end isn't quite as high, but I've never found it an issue off-road in the least (Although on pavement, it's easier to spin out going downhill, obviously). At a 90 rpm cadence, that'll put me well over 32 mph on gravel, which is plenty fast for me.

A compact with an 11-32t chainring provides a top (50-11) end of 120.58 gear inches on a 25c tire, almost identical to what I have with the 44t and the 10-42t combo.

If it came with a 50-34t and an 11-34t cassette, I'd be perfectly happy with the added weight until it got muddy, as I like not having to worry about a front derailleur when it's nasty.

Regardless, it's not a show stopper by any stretch, and I"ll still get just as muddy and filthy :)
You're right, that's not bad. I might get dropped with that gear on long downhills, but that happens only at the very front of races. For 'cross, there's no comparison-give me the 1x. If it's muddy/wet, I DNS gravel races;)

I also use my gravel bike on the road frequently. I'd feel differently if it was just for gravel and cx.

·
clueless oaf
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're right, that's not bad. I might get dropped with that gear on long downhills, but that happens only at the very front of races. For 'cross, there's no comparison-give me the 1x. If it's muddy/wet, I DNS gravel races;)

I also use my gravel bike on the road frequently. I'd feel differently if it was just for gravel and cx.
yeah, if my gravel bike was going to a be a "road bike" alternative, I'd want to go for the compact for that extra bit of gearing at the high end. Truthfully though what I miss the most isn't the extra "oomph" at the top end, it's the ease with which a tighter cassette imparts smoother cadence changes. The mid-range of the cassette, with gearing at 18-21-24-28, makes it a bit more challenging to maintain my cadence. I might be pedaling at 100 rpm, and do a quick shift, and all of a sudden I drop to 85 or something similar. Not that it's the end of the world, but it does provide a very different experience than having the smoother gear changes that a standard 2x with a tighter cassette provides

·
Registered
647 Posts
Way off topic, but I am expecting to see SRAM introduce a 1x12 road setup similar to their new MTB Eagle setup.

A 12-speed 10-50 cassette would be an interesting option for gravel matched with a 44, 46 or even 48 chainring.

·
clueless oaf
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Way off topic, but I am expecting to see SRAM introduce a 1x12 road setup similar to their new MTB Eagle setup.

A 12-speed 10-50 cassette would be an interesting option for gravel matched with a 44, 46 or even 48 chainring.
yeah, was thinking about that myself. A 48 would give you the top end of a 53-11 setup
131.92 gear inches (48x10) = 4.8x gear multiplier
132.46 gear inches (53x11) = 4.82x gear multiplier

again, the biggest issue on the road would be the jumps between gears and maintaining cadence

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yeah, gaps are still big. Not as much of an issue on gravel and such, but road is tough if you are trying to hold a tighter cadence goal.

Could be interesting if they did something like a 10-45 (or so) and adjust the gaps a bit tighter. Might make it a bit more applicable for some road use. I doubt 1x will totally replace 2x, but options are nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll be picking up a new gravel racing bike (Specialized Diverge Expert is the plan, unless Salsa's new Warbird knocks me flat)

anyway, I am almost definitely going to end up going 1x with a 44t up front, and I'm looking to get a good powermeter. However, I'm not finding any 1x powermeters that are above 38t (there is an XX1 type)

Was wondering if anybody had any good advice in this respect?
I've never seen any road power meters that come 1x, but you should be able to use any crank-based power meter with a 1x chainring. I have a Quarq Red that I run 1x. 40T for cross 42T for general road riding. I've never had any issues with it.

The 40T ring is SRAM and the 42T ring is from Wolf Tooth components.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Buy any compact road 110 power meter without rings and add a 44t Wolftooth chain ring. I'd probably do the new Quarq or a P2M as I've had good luck with both. Pretty much anything now can be used 1x with the availability of 1x aftermarket rings.

You could also get one with the 110 Shimano Asym bolt pattern or a 130 regular road and be fine. 44T 1x chain rings are available for both.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts