Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to purchase a power meter in the near future as I have come to realize that it is the best way to train for the sport. I have looked at the Quarq, SRM, and powertap. I was wondering if there were others out there that I should look at that is compatible with Campy components. I was hoping to find something that was crank based so I would not have to rebuild my rear wheel like with the Powertap. I know that the SRMs are nice, but they are also very expensive. Thanks for the help.
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,343 Posts
I have an SRM and a Quarq. I like that the Quarq is user-serviceable, and they have excellent customer service. However, the reason I know this is because I had to send it back 2x because the zero offset wasn't stable. The one I have now works fine, though I do find it to be more temperature sensitive than the SRM.
If you can afford an SRM, then go with it, but a Quarq is a great option for the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Quarq is definitely one of the best. I personally have a powertap and have had ZERO issues with it ever. My only complaint is that I got it in a 20 spoke formation, when I should have opted for a 24 (better wheel selection).
 

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
SRM was and will be the gold standard for awhile. After that, your choices of "good" powermeters that are on the market are limited.

1. SRM
2. PowerTap
3. Quarq

I really like the quark, but it's just not quite at the level of the powertap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Have a quarq, and have had nothing but happiness with it.

the others (bottom bracket based ergo, chain stretch based, ibike real-time calculation based) are a very big drop in terms of accuracy and reliability.

Choose one of the top 3, or wait for 6 mo, as there look to be some new options due by 1Q 2011.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
I have an SRM and love it. You can find some decent deals on them on Ebay, but if you're buying new, its hard to beat the Quarq with easy to replace batteries and it costing $1000 less than the SRM
 

·
Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
I have a couple of SRMs, Quarqs, and a Powertap. I think that the SRM and Quarq are about the same as far as quality and usefulness, with the powetap being a little behind. I do agree with Andrea that the temp changes affect the Quarq a ton compared to the SRM. For me, it comes down to practicality and ease of use for my needs. So far, Quarq is the big winner with that. The SRM is a great unit as well but mine have not been as trouble free as my Quarq units.
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,343 Posts
Here's the scenario- it's 72 degrees inside my house and 97 degrees outside. When I first take my bike outside, if I calibrate it, the zero offset number will be something like -620. Once it warms up to the outside temp, the power numbers will be obviously off, and when you re-calibrate, the zero offset will be somewhere around -775.
With an SRM, there will be a change in the zero offset with a similar change in temps, but it's much less drastic- more like 5-10 instead of >100.
 

·
Loves to Suffer
Joined
·
998 Posts
I have increased my threshold power almost 20% with the iBike power meter. I got a really good deal with a coupon sale, so couldn't resist.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind having an SRM. Too much money though. Maybe a power tap next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Here's the scenario- it's 72 degrees inside my house and 97 degrees outside. When I first take my bike outside, if I calibrate it, the zero offset number will be something like -620. Once it warms up to the outside temp, the power numbers will be obviously off, and when you re-calibrate, the zero offset will be somewhere around -775.
With an SRM, there will be a change in the zero offset with a similar change in temps, but it's much less drastic- more like 5-10 instead of >100.
Would roughly an hour outside before the race be enough time for the hardware to acclimate? Given my usual ~10am start time, I notice it generally gets warmer as the TT progresses. Would you anticipate this being a problem? I've never taken actual stats, but it generally feels like maybe 5* warmer and a slight increase in wind on my long TTs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
i know there are those that say non direct force like the ibike arent accurate. I bought the ibike pro because for the money it was worth it to me to try out a PM. plus the ease of transfer between bikes was a plus. I have been watching my numbers for several months now and it produces very consistent results. Out of curiosity I recently went out with a buddy that has an SRM. we did a side by side ride for several miles and his total weight on the bike is almost identical to mine. we looked at the data later on and my output was showing 6w difference on avg power and 3w difference on NP. Since we were the same weight I went ahead and calibrated my ibike to his SRM based on that test. Since them we have shared many files of our group rides and the ibike has produced consistent results within 2-3 w of his. Im not going to argue if its perfect or whats better. All I know is I spent about 650 and he spent 3,000 and mine is producing consitent enough results for me to train from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
FWIW, you don't have to pay $1k+ for reliable power. Used powertaps are all over Ebay, often going for around $400. I got a very lightly used wired unit through craigslist locally for $380. Furthermore, the local racing community always has rider looking to unload older units and upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
clonechemist said:
FWIW, you don't have to pay $1k+ for reliable power. Used powertaps are all over Ebay, often going for around $400. I got a very lightly used wired unit through craigslist locally for $380. Furthermore, the local racing community always has rider looking to unload older units and upgrade.
+1. My powertap is 3 years old now, has worked perfectly from day 1. I have it built into a 24 hole Kinlin 300 rim with Sapim CX spokes (second rim). Light enough to race on. I train in the rain with it (So Cal, so not that much rain). It's been great.
 

·
Shut up legs!
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
I got the Quarq recently and at first the Zero offset was not stable as well, but I found out it was because the chainring bolt was easily coming slightly loose after each ride. I don't mean it was coming off, but it would come slightly loose and out of the 10NM spec it needs for an accurate zero offset reading. The Quarq sensor is very sensitive to the chainring bolt tightness. Ever since I loctite my chainring bolts, the reading has been very stable.
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,343 Posts
spade2you said:
Would roughly an hour outside before the race be enough time for the hardware to acclimate? Given my usual ~10am start time, I notice it generally gets warmer as the TT progresses. Would you anticipate this being a problem? I've never taken actual stats, but it generally feels like maybe 5* warmer and a slight increase in wind on my long TTs.
I think so. I usually put my bike in the hot garage for at least half an hour before I ride, then re-calibrate after I warm up, and it seems like it's as good as an SRM after that. I think giving it an hour is a good idea, though. 5 deg isn't nearly as dramatic as the inside vs. outside temps I deal with right now.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,419 Posts
I try not to kid myself, and pretend that I'm good enough to be able to benefit from a power meter, like 80% of the people who buy them.

If I ever did purchase one, this is what the display would look like.
.
.
.
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
I try not to kid myself, and pretend that I'm good enough to be able to benefit from a power meter, like 80% of the people who buy them.
But haven't you heard? All those numbers make you faster!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,085 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I think so. I usually put my bike in the hot garage for at least half an hour before I ride, then re-calibrate after I warm up, and it seems like it's as good as an SRM after that. I think giving it an hour is a good idea, though. 5 deg isn't nearly as dramatic as the inside vs. outside temps I deal with right now.
Sure. Makes sense.

I'm still looking at Quark, although I'm half-tempted to look at SRM since they seem to have a Campy compatible crank. I know other systems will work with Record 10, but it would be nice since mine shifts pretty amazing.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top