Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
sin zen
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a power meter but I'm not sure which to get.I like the srm because I can use whatever wheels I want and I have alot.I also like the power tap because the handle bar unit in small and looks less bulky. I'm very clueless to the pros and cons of both so any feed back would be great(.P.S. the no handed ILT on rollers video clip will be up in a few weeks a buddy of mine is going to host it on his web sit.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
saviour machine said:
I'm looking to buy a power meter but I'm not sure which to get.I like the srm because I can use whatever wheels I want and I have alot.I also like the power tap because the handle bar unit in small and looks less bulky. I'm very clueless to the pros and cons of both so any feed back would be great(.P.S. the no handed ILT on rollers video clip will be up in a few weeks a buddy of mine is going to host it on his web sit.)
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rechung/wattage/
http://biketechreview.com/archive/pm_review.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Got an SRM in December, 2005, after much thought and comparison. Liked the Power Tap, but the SRM won. Less wire, any rear wheel, dependable. Many friends have PT; however, I noticed that several had started with PT and later moved to SRM. I change rear wheels for weather and road, and also trainer. The SRM has worked well so far. Good luck.
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Ergomo...

I'm possibly considering Ergomo Pro Power meter..

http://www.bicyclepowermeters.com/ergomoproproducts.html

http://www.ergomo.net/Home-_14.html

Velo News had a power meter article a few months ago and the Ergomo meter was the one of the three reviewed along w/ Power Tap and SRM.

A bottom bracket system that only works w/ Campy cranks (or their own) and not Mac compatible. Gauges power by measuring spindle flex opitcally... and also supposed to give you altitude measurement as well.

According to the article Ergomo weighs lightest at 350gram and stores twice as much data at 57 hours. Also its accuracy is within 1.5 percent which is same as Power Tap and slightly better than SRM (2.0 percent)... As for any user feed back I've no clue... I am going to wait a see...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
936 Posts
However. .

6was9 said:


A bottom bracket system that only works w/ Campy cranks (or their own) and not Mac compatible. Gauges power by measuring spindle flex opitcally... and also supposed to give you altitude measurement as well.
.


It only reads off one side, I wonder about the accuracy of someone with a side discrepancy.
:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
saviour machine said:
I'm looking to buy a power meter but I'm not sure which to get.I like the srm because I can use whatever wheels I want and I have alot.I also like the power tap because the handle bar unit in small and looks less bulky. I'm very clueless to the pros and cons of both so any feed back would be great(.P.S. the no handed ILT on rollers video clip will be up in a few weeks a buddy of mine is going to host it on his web sit.)
Buy this book. The only way to check the validity of the Ergomo or Polar readings is to put another power meter on there or use www.analyticcycling.com to compare hill climb times and then compare measured power versus calculated.

http://store.velogear.com/trandrawipom.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
I am waiting for Ergomo to release the isis version here in early march. I like the interaction best out of them all. Also the SRM is simply UN CALLED for in price and I refuse to use those ugly ass cranks on my bike (and wont run the DA cranks with my Record). GITA is the US distributor, and although nice people, they are a bit sketchy at times to deal with.

K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
saviour machine said:
I'm looking to buy a power meter but I'm not sure which to get.I like the srm because I can use whatever wheels I want and I have alot.I also like the power tap because the handle bar unit in small and looks less bulky. I'm very clueless to the pros and cons of both so any feed back would be great(.P.S. the no handed ILT on rollers video clip will be up in a few weeks a buddy of mine is going to host it on his web sit.)
The SRM is the best system out there IMO, if you can afford it. $3400 for the Dura Ace, FSA or Sibex versions is really expensive. The Ergomo looks like it could be a good system, but it is an unproven system and customer support in the US is still and unknown. I have used a powertap pro for the last few years and it has worked well for training, but I can only use it for training or C races and it would be prohibitively expensive to have one built up to a rear TT wheel, crit wheel, climbing wheel etc.

If you have 3K plus to spend get the SRM, or you could take a chance on the Ergomo. I might look at an Ergomo in a season or two if they can prove a reliability and customer service track record.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
flying wombat said:
The SRM is the best system out there IMO, if you can afford it. $3400 for the Dura Ace, FSA or Sibex versions is really expensive. The Ergomo looks like it could be a good system, but it is an unproven system and customer support in the US is still and unknown. I have used a powertap pro for the last few years and it has worked well for training, but I can only use it for training or C races and it would be prohibitively expensive to have one built up to a rear TT wheel, crit wheel, climbing wheel etc.
For the money one would spend on a high end SRM, one could buy three powertap wheels and a CPU or two Ergomo bottom brackets and a single CPU.
Not sure why you need more than two PowerTap wheels - unless you are racing elite races one can use a wheel cover on a training wheel and the only people who need a climbing wheel are doing hill climbs time trials.
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Woofer said:
For the money one would spend on a high end SRM, one could buy three powertap wheels and a CPU or two Ergomo bottom brackets and a single CPU.
Not sure why you need more than two PowerTap wheels - unless you are racing elite races one can use a wheel cover on a training wheel and the only people who need a climbing wheel are doing hill climbs time trials.
Aside from rationalizing multi bike ownership, for those who have multi multi bikes Power Tap is still the only choice I suppose..for now... I like the Ergomo set up but I can't see buying multi $900 BBs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I started with a PT, moved to an SRM. So far, its been more dependable (had to send the PT back 3 times to Grabber), and I like the handlebar unit better. One thing to keep in mind- with a lot of taking the Handlebar unit on and off of the bike the plastic on the bottom of the unit wore out- and then it ceased to make the connections needed to read from the hub. I called Grabber, they told me to buy a new unit..... I wasn't to pleased.

Anyway, I really like being able to run w/e wheels I want and I can easily move the SRM between bikes (10mm allen...) which I do 1-2 a week. Plus, you can't run a disk with a PT. The ergomo is very exiting, I want to see more...

my vote is for the SRM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
I've owned a standard Powertap, a Powertap SL and an SRM Pro.

I had the standard PT for two seasons and had zero problems, in fact the guy I sold it to has had no problems with it either and it has a ton of miles on it.

I "upgraded" to the SL model last spring and got one of many with bad seals that needed to go back for repair. I think they had it for probably 2 months while everything was being sorted out but they did send me a PT Pro wheel as a loaner while mine was out of commission. The same wheel stopped working again in January and needed to be rebuilt again. This time the turnaround was 12 working days from the day I sent it in to when I got it back. Good customer service, I just wish I had not needed to use it twice in a year. This wheel to date probably only has 4k on it. The warranty period is 12 months from the date of purchase so if it goes again after this month I’m on my own. Saying that I was told that the complete rebuild is only 160 bucks which I didn’t think was too bad.

During my initial downtime with the SL I bought an SRM Pro on the cheap off of ebay to run on my TT bike. It worked really nice although it did have significantly shorter battery life than I would have liked. It probably needed to be sent back for service. I used it to work on my pacing with a new TT bike and dial in my position. In the fall I decided to sell it after I was offered 500 more than I paid for it so it's gone. Real nice set-up but not worth the retail price IMO...

I personally like the computer head on the Powertap's the best, I just wish my luck was better. If the newly rebuilt SL dies again I just may give the new Ergomo Pro a shot. One of the guys I race with just got one so I'll have some 1st had user feedback to base my decision on. I can't justify another SRM as they cost more than I spend on a complete bike and I'd probably only buy new next time around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Another Vote for Powertap

I have two PT Pro units. Never had a problem. In fact one has over 8K and only had to replace the battery. Like most anything, treat them right, and they'll treat you right. Yes, it would be great to able to run a PT in my disk, but not to be, so I'm keeping an eye out for a gently used Zipp 404 w/PT for TT, new they are about 1300.

Love the SRM, just real pricey for this kid.

The Ergomo is intriguing, but a couple guys I know had problems from the get go, both went the SRM route.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top