Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start with the disclaimer from the legal department. I searched for any threads on this and found nothing. I looked through a bunch of threads, not particularly thoroughly because some were really long and I'm not that motivated. Second, this may or may not be the appropriate sub-forum. I didn't see a "non strain gauge power meters" sub-forum listed, so I went with the more general approach. I'm guessing this has come up somewhere before, but...

This is is weird. OK, no left/right possible, that's huge... But it does look kind of cool in other ways? Just like DC says, a good introduction to using power? Interesting product. Anyone have any experience with it or a similar kind of tech? Seems to pass muster for DC?

First Ride with new $299 PowerPod Power Meter | DC Rainmaker

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I'll start with the disclaimer from the legal department. I searched for any threads on this and found nothing. I looked through a bunch of threads, not particularly thoroughly because some were really long and I'm not that motivated. Second, this may or may not be the appropriate sub-forum. I didn't see a "non strain gauge power meters" sub-forum listed, so I went with the more general approach. I'm guessing this has come up somewhere before, but...

This is is weird. OK, no left/right possible, that's huge... But it does look kind of cool in other ways? Just like DC says, a good introduction to using power? Interesting product. Anyone have any experience with it or a similar kind of tech? Seems to pass muster for DC?

This will likely be as big a success as all the other powermeters the last decade using the same principle.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
This appears to be like the iBike Newton, which uses indirect methods of determining how much power you're producing. The Newton had mixed results.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Established company taking a failed product onto kickstarter to compete with established products which actually work and are already on the market. Interesting.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Humm, for that price, save your cash for another month or two and get a real power meter from Stages or another left only type set up.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Unlike when the iBike Newton was released there are now a lot of options for direct measurement PMs under $500. How is this thing supposed to compete at that price point? It makes some crazy assumptions, i.e. you have the same CdA throughout your ride. How does it fair in cross winds?

What I think this could be useful is as a poor man's wind tunnel. If you use it in conjunction with a power meter you could figure out what is really more aero for you. But I doubt even if they marketed it towards that it would be a profitable company. You wouldn't need it on your bike all the time. A club could buy one and let all their members use it for a day of aero testing.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Ray published an update a couple of weeks ago:
PowerPod In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

He provided a link to his data along with the data collected from several other power meters that he was running simultaneously. i've downloaded and examined a couple of those files.

Every power meter on the market has a design goal and use case. If your use case matches what the power meter offers, it can be a good device for you. If not, it won't be. In general, comparing average power over a ride is the lowest possible bar you jump over, and that's where most power meter comparisons begin and end. Unsurprisingly, the Power Pod does pretty well if that's all your use case demands.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unlike when the iBike Newton was released there are now a lot of options for direct measurement PMs under $500. How is this thing supposed to compete at that price point? It makes some crazy assumptions, i.e. you have the same CdA throughout your ride. How does it fair in cross winds?

What I think this could be useful is as a poor man's wind tunnel. If you use it in conjunction with a power meter you could figure out what is really more aero for you. But I doubt even if they marketed it towards that it would be a profitable company. You wouldn't need it on your bike all the time. A club could buy one and let all their members use it for a day of aero testing.
i examined Ray's data files with that specific use in mind. I'm not sure the Power Pod's data is quite good enough for that usage.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
i examined Ray's data files with that specific use in mind. I'm not sure the Power Pod's data is quite good enough for that usage.
Why not? Imagine if you could find a loop to ride over and over again. You ride it in position 1, take power and time measurements. Ride it in position 2 and take the same measurements. Using the PowerPod you could remove variations in the wind. This is just a hypothesis.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Why not? Imagine if you could find a loop to ride over and over again. You ride it in position 1, take power and time measurements. Ride it in position 2 and take the same measurements. Using the PowerPod you could remove variations in the wind. This is just a hypothesis.
Well, I made the same hypothesis but I didn't just stop there. I downloaded Ray's data, extracted the wind speed data from the Power Pod, and combined it with the power and speed data from one of the other power meters to see if it would improve the estimated CdA based on just the power and speed data alone.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did a thread on this like months ago. It uses the the same tech as the I bike.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...nd-based-power-reading-powermeter-350276.html

I think for steady state power it could do just fine, but once hard efforts and mixed terrain is in there all bets are off.
Thanks Pitt! I had a feeling someone would have posted about it already. I searched "powerpod" and that thread was no where to be seen. If it was, it was way deep... Most of what came up was from PO? I may have been autocorrected to "power pod?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.