Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the $5-$600 range, I can get a polar cs600 or a used powertap wired sl.

I've been training and racing for a couple years now with a couple top tens. Now I have less time than ever and want to make every hour on the bike count. Thus thinking power and maybe down the road a coach.

Anyone have some feedback on this decision?

G

·
If time is of the essence then fooling with the CS600 should not be high on your list. I have had both and hands down between the two I would suggest the Powertap.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have used both, and have now settled on the polar. I know that is not in line with what most people think. I have had no problems with my unit, and it was easy to set up. Others have had much more difficulty. The polar works fine for outdoor use. I wanted a powermeter meter to use outdoors to pace myself when climbing, and to do L4 and L5 intervals. For this this the polar works just fine. The nice thing for me about the polar is that it is a great bike computer if you want to run it without the power paddle (in a race, or on a second bike...). My problem with the powertap is I hated being tied to one wheel (I had an old PT wired hub that rolled horribly, and a 32 spoke open pro rim).

All that being said, the polar unit is not accurate for me indoors. But since I have a computrainer I really could care less. Also, it does not give accurate readings for sprint work. I have reached 1500w with the powertap, but only 1200w with the polar. Not a big deal, as again I was looking for L4 and L5 pacing.

I had no problems with my powertap unit, it always worked as expected, and was easy to use. I just felt like my wheel and hub combination was a boat anchor. But in the end it sure is nice to have power readings for both race and training wheels.

I think the more important thing than which powermeter you buy, is to commit yourself to using the powermeter to improve. I think 95% of powermeter users use it as a cool toy, any powermeter, when used correctly, can really help training.

YMMV.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts