Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just got my bike back from the shop after having a Veloce compact crankset installed. I noticed that the C holding clip for the bottom bracket was missing. Everything rode great and there was no play in anything. If it is torqued up correctly, will the missing clip be a problem? Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
People who do not understand will do this.

It retains the spindle.

Things will be fine until you stand up and stomp on it uphill.

Then you may hear click click click

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do they need to pull the whole thing apart or is it ok if the clip pops right in place?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
So do they need to pull the whole thing apart or is it ok if the clip pops right in place?
Press on the DS while seating the clip. The ends of the clip need to be behind (to the right of) the DS bearing. If it's not seated properly then it's not doing it's job. If the clip is fully seated then the visible bit will rest in the groove like this

All this being said, the Campy system was designed back in the days of threaded BB's when the clip was an adequate, if eccentric, way of holding the spindle in place. The same would apply to any threaded- together BB adapter like Praxis.

If it's a pressfit BB cup, then with this method, forces on the spindle are constantly trying to dislodge the cup. It needs to be very well fixed in place.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I think I remember the "official USA Campy Service Center" or whatever those blow hards are called doing this and claiming it was okay.

I remember arguing against it and telling the OP at the time to get it installed properly.

I remember that OP not, and then suffering major frame damage on a new bike because of not having it installed.

So will it be a problem if torqued correctly? Well do you value your frame?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
There have been lots of threads over the years, and I too remember one where Campy USA was being quoted with conflicting instructions. Also at the time I remember Trek was installing UT cranksets directly into their BB90 frames which had no provision for the clip.

I think the point is that there needs to be some way of either retaining the spindle in place or preventing side play some other way, like with spacers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts