Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a "new Product" on Cyclingnews.com called powercordz. Anyone use them/seen them?
Interested to know more. No corrosion and lighter seem like 2 good attributes.
Combo'd w/ Nokon housing may make for lighter, better performing shifting? Pipe dream?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
ddesmonts said:
I saw a "new Product" on Cyclingnews.com called powercordz. Anyone use them/seen them?
Combo'd w/ Nokon housing may make for lighter, better performing shifting? Pipe dream?
I'm usin' them. I don't know that my shifting has improved, but it was fine before I had 'em installed (using them w/ Campy Record). The Powercordz website gives a list of compatible housings: http://www.powercordz.com/ . FWIW, you can now purchase Powercordz packaged w/ their own housings. There is an issue with Nokons and Powercordz (I can't remember whether it's w/ brake cables or shifter cables) that requires dremeling the Nokon pearls. My Powercordz are running through Shimano housings.....Nokons never appealed to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
ddesmonts said:
Their web site seems to imply that their "cordz" are a lot stretchier than the metal cables they'd be replacing. Actually, what they say is "Power Cordz™ lowers the forces on the components which dramatically reduces the need for adjustment."

I don't think I want stretchy brake cables, thanks.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
likeguymontag said:
Their web site seems to imply that their "cordz" are a lot stretchier than the metal cables they'd be replacing. Actually, what they say is "Power Cordz™ lowers the forces on the components which dramatically reduces the need for adjustment."

I don't think I want stretchy brake cables, thanks.
How do yout arrive at the idea that PowerCordz are stretchier? The claim of "Lower forces on the components" is derived from the claim of "low coefficient of friction", not stretchiness. The only indication of stiffness is the claim of "lateral stiffness, flexibility and low coefficient of friction gives the rider improved control", where I assume they really meant to say "longitudinal stiffness".

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Mark McM said:
How do yout arrive at the idea that PowerCordz are stretchier? The claim of "Lower forces on the components" is derived from the claim of "low coefficient of friction", not stretchiness. The only indication of stiffness is the claim of "lateral stiffness, flexibility and low coefficient of friction gives the rider improved control", where I assume they really meant to say "longitudinal stiffness".
You read it the way I read it. Also, if they were "stretchier" that would imply that you would need to adjust for cable tension changes more.

I have had mine on since the end of October.....about 2000 miles....and have been satisfied. I had them installed because I was curious about them and wanted to give them a shot. Prior to the Powercordz, I used Campy cables and housings which worked perfectly fine. Between the two, performance differences are a draw. Cost is higher on the Powercordz but the Powercordz are lighter. Granted the weight difference is very small, but I'm in the process of lightening my bike as a technical exercise....not because I expect some performance benefit. An added benefit of the Powercordz is that they're black, and as everyone knows, black is much faster than other colors.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
I'm using the shift cables.

After the intial ride and adujstment the have worked amazingly well. I'm a Campy user and I did buy the brake cable but you have to dremel them down to make the cable end work with Ergo shifters and I just didn't feel confident with what was left and threw them in the garbage. I will use the brake cables when they come out with one that is designed for the ergo shifters.

·
Registered
168 Posts
alienator said:
You read it the way I read it. [...] Between the two, performance differences are a draw.
Well, if you say that they work fine, then they must not actually stretch much, like I assumed from their PR gush.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ddesmonts said:
I have used them for about a year. And am happy with them....shifting and braking is smoother. They do have an expiration date, though. I think it's two years

1 - 8 of 8 Posts