Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To my understanding both provide similar information (wattage, etc.) but powertap is much less expensive than powermeter/cranks. What are the advantage/disadvantage of both?

·
Registered
508 Posts
NB - A powertap is a powermeter.

I would suggest doing a forum search; the discussion on RBR is exhaustive in a variety of areas vis a vis cost, wheel dedication, etc.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
the book training with power lists many of the various types of power meters and the advantages and disadvantages of each.

·
Registered
383 Posts
like the study said, powertap tends to have drivertrain lag (since it's the rear hub, if you have dirty chain, lots of friction in between crankset and the hub etc) and powermeter provides more direct and instant information...although it can also be a lot more expensive ...matters a lot to poor riders like me :/

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
swings and roundabouts...

you go for the SRM if u have alot of expensive wheelsets..

you go for the powertap if you dont, and or dont want to spend $1000 more for the 'same' kit albiet measured in a different area (hub/wheel V's Cranks)

everything after that comes down to aestetics and 'my friend says' marketing lingo and hype

you go for the SRM if you want a more bulletproof system (not much can fail on it)

you go for the powertap if you realise it does the same job as the SRM but without the extra $1000+ price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts