Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, here it is...after a call or two to Ligero...

Powertap 32h
Gray 90mm 24h rim

2x DS, 1x NDS...

224 spokes on DS, 220 NDS

Can't say it was easy...actually, I pretty much hate spoking these rims. Only concern right now is tension...using Park's tool, I'm showing 25 on the NDS and 23 on the DS...close enough, but I'm not sure these rims can handle the 120+ kgf the NDS is seeing. I've got a call in to Blackwell...we'll see what they say.

Need to find a better solution for figuring out spoke lengths.

--edit--

Thanks, again, Troy.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I made a triplet calculator (excel)... it isn't that tough really.

The issue with triplet on such a narrow hub is that the lateral stiffness is low. But then I think lateral stiffness is over rated. You laced the NDS heads-in, yes?

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
It doesn't matter. If any hub has a mondo stiff body, it's a PT.
Stiff doesn't necessarily mean strong...I broke the hub flange on a PT hub in less than a year. It was a 32 spoke 2x (both sides) build.

After having the hub replaced under warranty...I had it rebuilt 3x (both sides) for better spoke angles on the flange and hopefully a bit more strength in that area overall.

BTW...Building the hub up 1x on either side voids the warranty on the hub...Just thought you should know.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The flange and body are two different things.

They used to say you needed to lace 3x both sides... even when they were making 20 and 24h models. Now they say it needs to be 2x on the NDS... no restriction on the DS... but it will work any way you lace it.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
If that was the case, then the precise spokes and lacing pattern on the DS would also be important. If it is radial then the hub body wouldn't twist at all... if 2x it would twist some amount depending on how stiff the spoking was relative to the body. So if they were really worried about hub body twist, they'd spec radial on the DS.

I'm not sure how the measurement is taken. If there is an optical measurement of displacement between the torque tube and the body, then body twist would effect it. If they are using strain gauges on the torque tube it shouldn't matter at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.