Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get a used Powertap to begin training with power. My current roadbike is an older 12 speed. I'm unsure about the compatibility of the hub/wheel with my current set up.

My late 80's Hunter roadbike is stocked with Shimano 105 12-speed drivetrain. Will this be compatible with a Powertap Hub? If so, I'll grab a used Powertap Hub wheel of eBay.

Thanks!

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Wow.

Really?

Not that there's anything WRONG with your 12-speed setup, and, you CAN "cold-set" -- that is, bend -- old steel frames -- to accept modern, 130mm spaced hubs, but is this worth the effort?

You'll also have a pre-hyperglide cogset. This predates me but they won't fit on your freehub body...

ronniedee said:
I plan to get a used Powertap to begin training with power. My current roadbike is an older 12 speed. I'm unsure about the compatibility of the hub/wheel with my current set up.

My late 80's Hunter roadbike is stocked with Shimano 105 12-speed drivetrain. Will this be compatible with a Powertap Hub? If so, I'll grab a used Powertap Hub wheel of eBay.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't even consider the spacing issue, so I'm glad I asked.

I'm not interested in modifying the frame, so looks like I'll have to wait until I upgrade the roadbike before I will be able to add a power meter. That's fine.

I'm just getting back into roadbiking.

Thanks for helping me with this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockstar2083 said:
If you like the frame, just upgrade to 8, 9 or 10 speed. It really isn't that big of a deal to stick a 130 hub in there.
I am under the impression that upgrading from 6-speed is not as simple as changing out the cassette, due to the additional space requirements of the additional cogs / hub length. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like I read, when I first bought this bike, that I'd have to bend out my chainstays to make room. I'm not that bent on upgrading this bike. If that's what it will take, I'll just wait until my next bike...hopefully, sometime next spring. Then, maybe, I can convert this old tange frame into a fixie.

·
Clyde-o-Matic
713 Posts
I'm all for upgrading and new bikes so don't let me talk you out of upgrading but I don't think changing the spacing on your bike will be that big of a deal. The spacing on a 6 speed should be 126 if I remember correctly. You should be easily able to stick a 130 mm modern hub in there. I've got an old hybrid that was spaced at 135 that I easily cranked down to a 130 hub.

I would borrow a friends 130 mm wheel and see how much you might have to spread the stays. It could be fairly easy to put the 130 in. There are instructions on the internet on how to cold set a frame from 126 to 130 but in most cases, people just stick in the 130 and go.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
He's about right. The 126mm will just be a tight fit at first, and then will bend the dropout, a little bit.

But, your cassette won't fit on the freehub body of the Powertap, either. The 6-speed cassettes were different than modern ones.

If you have friction shifters, you could use a 7-speed cassette and a spacer, I believe. I do not know of any company who makes 6-speed cassettes for hyperglide freehub bodies, but they might exist.

rockstar2083 said:
I'm all for upgrading and new bikes so don't let me talk you out of upgrading but I don't think changing the spacing on your bike will be that big of a deal. The spacing on a 6 speed should be 126 if I remember correctly. You should be easily able to stick a 130 mm modern hub in there. I've got an old hybrid that was spaced at 135 that I easily cranked down to a 130 hub.

I would borrow a friends 130 mm wheel and see how much you might have to spread the stays. It could be fairly easy to put the 130 in. There are instructions on the internet on how to cold set a frame from 126 to 130 but in most cases, people just stick in the 130 and go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts