Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get a used Powertap to begin training with power. My current roadbike is an older 12 speed. I'm unsure about the compatibility of the hub/wheel with my current set up.

My late 80's Hunter roadbike is stocked with Shimano 105 12-speed drivetrain. Will this be compatible with a Powertap Hub? If so, I'll grab a used Powertap Hub wheel of eBay.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't even consider the spacing issue, so I'm glad I asked.

I'm not interested in modifying the frame, so looks like I'll have to wait until I upgrade the roadbike before I will be able to add a power meter. That's fine.

I'm just getting back into roadbiking.

Thanks for helping me with this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockstar2083 said:
If you like the frame, just upgrade to 8, 9 or 10 speed. It really isn't that big of a deal to stick a 130 hub in there.
I am under the impression that upgrading from 6-speed is not as simple as changing out the cassette, due to the additional space requirements of the additional cogs / hub length. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like I read, when I first bought this bike, that I'd have to bend out my chainstays to make room. I'm not that bent on upgrading this bike. If that's what it will take, I'll just wait until my next bike...hopefully, sometime next spring. Then, maybe, I can convert this old tange frame into a fixie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.