Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a used powertap so I checking to make sure I am buying the correct thing. The item that I am looking at is a powertap basic(black) hub with a powertap pro(yellow) computer. Will this function and give the same data as the powertap pro? Is it going to give me the same information as if it pro(yellow) hub?

Chirs

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is no difference at all between the hub that comes with the Powertap Pro & PT Standard kit - the difference is in the harness & computer. The Pro has the cadence wire on the harness(vs. "virtual" cadence, which isn't too bad IMHO) & a computer with some more features. The best Pro feature is being able to use the computer without the hub (speed, cadence, & HR), you can not do this with the STD computer.

Both the Pro & Standard come with the yellow computer these days, so the color doesn't really tell you anything anymore. When you first turn the computer on, it will display PRO or STD & the firmware version. Also, there has been a somewhat recent change in the computer itself, I believe the most recent versions do not have CycleOps printed on the left face. They apparently have a bit more memory on board, but I'm not certain it is enabled for use by the current firmware. There are also two recent changes in the harness. The first change, a bit over a year ago, was in the way it mounts to the bars and a change to the cadence wire being a plug in module type thing. The other change is in the last few months, and that was in the receiver that is down by the hub. It was done to help with some issues on the SL, it can be identified by the sleeker profile of the receiver.

When in doubt, you can always email the tech support at Cycleops. The folks there are said to be quite helpful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts