Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's a 15% coupon today and tomorrow that brings the price down to $479. I've had this wheelset since 2014 and it's given good service in commuting and recreational riding. They're not great wheels, but having a power meter more than makes up for that, IMHO.

PowerTap G3 Alloy Shimano Wheelset

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'd say buy 'em, cut the hub out, and re-build with better rim/spokes, but 32 spokes? Does anybody ride 32 spoke wheels anymore??? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think the idea was that these are your training wheels so they're overbuilt for max reliability rather than either weight or aero.

Way back in the day, there was some discussion that a hub based power meter should have a very rigid build (32 hole 3 cross) so it didn't 'spool up' during hard accelerations and thus given a more accurate torque value. I doubt the latter is going to make a huge difference but given the weight that a hub based PM adds compared to crank or spider based one... I guess the 'training' application makes sense.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I'd say buy 'em, cut the hub out, and re-build with better rim/spokes, but 32 spokes? Does anybody ride 32 spoke wheels anymore??? :)
No. You can buy the DT Swiss based GS hub, in 24 hole, for $299.

These are great training wheels.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I run 32 spokes on 3 of my 5 bikes (including a 32-spoke G3 wheel). I weigh 190 and my experience is bad things happen to wheels. I don't race so I'm all about durability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts