Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a Powertap wheel the past 2 years. This January I started using it for indoor training with Zwift. Since then I have had to change the battery twice. It could be a problem with the hub but I was wondering if there is anything unique with using ANT+ with a computer USB stick?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Do you mean the hub batteries, or the battery in the head unit????

·
Registered
363 Posts
The hub is broadcasting the ant+ message regardless of what is reading it so the ant+ stick shouldn't cause any change in battery life. Maybe you just got a bad batch of batteries?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hub is broadcasting the ant+ message regardless of what is reading it so the ant+ stick shouldn't cause any change in battery life. Maybe you just got a bad batch of batteries?
I would assume that the hub goes in to some sort of standby mode once the receiver stops talking to it. I was wondering if maybe there was something in this configuration that prevented it from doing so. I am using one of those cheap ANT sticks you get on eBay, not the Garmin or BKOOL versions

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would assume that the hub goes in to some sort of standby mode once the receiver stops talking to it. I was wondering if maybe there was something in this configuration that prevented it from doing so. I am using one of those cheap ANT sticks you get on eBay, not the Garmin or BKOOL versions
The communication is one direction. The hub merely broadcasts a signal when it spins up and turns on.

It doesn't matter if there are any number of receivers (1, 2, 200, or none at all) in the area.

This probably boils down to poor quality or old batteries.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The communication is one direction. The hub merely broadcasts a signal when it spins up and turns on.

It doesn't matter if there are any number of receivers (1, 2, 200, or none at all) in the area.

This probably boils down to poor quality or old batteries.
I did a search on the topic and there was one post that theorized that clamping the hub into a trainer may be putting tension on the hub that keeps it from shutting off. I dont know if that is valid or not but it seems plausible

·
Registered
647 Posts
Maybe. I suspect that is easy to test. My Joule GPS+ will flag a message when it loses the signal from my hub when it turns off. I don't know how other computers hand a dropped signal?

I always release the resistance unit and loosen the tension on the trainer when not in use. I leave it in, but loosely resting on the QR supports.

I don't like the idea of the extra pressure on the hub or tire when not in use.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe. I suspect that is easy to test. My Joule GPS+ will flag a message when it loses the signal from my hub when it turns off. I don't know how other computers hand a dropped signal?

I always release the resistance unit and loosen the tension on the trainer when not in use. I leave it in, but loosely resting on the QR supports.

I don't like the idea of the extra pressure on the hub or tire when not in use.
I tried your test idea. My Garmin did not "see" it until I turned the cranks, so either it does not happen all the time or it was the battery

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did a search on the topic and there was one post that theorized that clamping the hub into a trainer may be putting tension on the hub that keeps it from shutting off. I dont know if that is valid or not but it seems plausible

I've kept my powertap clamped in the trainer for a good chunk of the winter and I always have to spin it to wake it up. It's easy to check as the hub goes to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts