Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a used powertap so I checking to make sure I am buying the correct thing. The item that I am looking at is a powertap basic(black) hub with a powertap pro(yellow) computer. Will this function and give the same data as the powertap pro? Is it going to give me the same information as if it pro(yellow) hub?

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
Clark said:
I am looking at buying a used powertap so I checking to make sure I am buying the correct thing. The item that I am looking at is a powertap basic(black) hub with a powertap pro(yellow) computer. Will this function and give the same data as the powertap pro? Is it going to give me the same information as if it pro(yellow) hub?

Chris
Yes, there is no difference between the standard and pro hub other than the color of the battery cover. There are, however, two versions of the standard hub. The earlier version had a matt finish, the later ones have a polished finish. I have both and they both work fine. The later ones do have improved seals though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PMC said:
not all yellow cpu's are the pro model
just an fyi that if the seller is telling you it's a standard, it probably is.

he is saying its a pro model but I was questioning it because the hub has black cover instead of the yellow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
not all yellow cpu's are the pro model
just an fyi that if the seller is telling you it's a standard, it probably is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
you should be good to go then
as asgelle mentioned, the current hubs (standard and pro) are virtually the same
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Clark said:
he is saying its a pro model but I was questioning it because the hub has black cover instead of the yellow.
Only sure way to know is to have him tell you what is displayed on the computer when it is first turned on. PRO or STD. I'd also get him to tell you the firmware version that's displayed at the same time, it might help to tell you how old it is. The firmware is upgradeable, so it might only tell you how old it might be, not how new it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there really any big difference from the standard to the pro to pay the extra money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
Clark said:
So from what I understand from is the only difference between the 2 is the computer?
The computers are different and the transmitter/harness on the Pro has direct measurement of cadence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
asgelle said:
The computers are different and the transmitter/harness on the Pro has direct measurement of cadence.
Time of day, Cycle Computer only & HR only modes, display smoothing (averaging power over a few seconds to make pacing easier), and customizable display (really only good when in Cycle Computer only or HR only modes) are the differences on the computer. I originally went with the Pro because of the wired cadence (vs. "virtual"), but I didn't even bother putting the cadence sensor on my second bike as the virtual cadence is perfectly fine for me. The other pro features though, I don't think I can live without.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top